Will Aqara sensors work without an Aqara hub?

Hello, I’m looking at these Aqara sensors on Amazon and people in the questions say that people here said they work directly with the newest mesh router hub without the need to have an Aqara hub? I want to confirm this is true before I go buying temp and door sensors? Thanks

I don’t know what you mean about “the newest Mesh router hub” in this context. If you are referring to the SmartThings WiFi mesh hub with plume, that’s actually an older hub model, and in any case is not needed.

The Aqara Zigbee sensors Can work directly with the smartthings regular V3 hub and its new replacement (no aqara hub required), the Aeotec “works as a smartthings hub“ but they are somewhat flaky. Popular, because they are so inexpensive, but they can require a lot of hands-on maintenance. And they do require custom code.

See the community FAQ

FAQ: Help! New to smartThings: will Xioami/Aqara sensors work?

So then they are not directly compatible without extra work? What would be the best brand to go with then for a few cheap sensors? I just need 2 door sensors and a temp/humidity sensor

I’m tired today but there are quite a few existing threads in the forum about inexpensive sensors, so you should be able to find lots of information.

Try this thread:

Needing cheap contact sensor? (2020)

1 Like

I have Aqara Open/Close, Temperature/Humidity, Button, Vibration and Motion Sensors connected to my v2 hub. Up until June 20th, they were all working nicely in the SmartThings App. Now I’m not sure what’s working or not… At least most of my Alexa automations and commands are still working, including my Z-Wave plugs that have disappeared from all app instances.

All required some trial and error in finding device handlers found in various posts to get them working.

FWIW

Aqara Button - bspranger : Xiaomi Aqara Button
Aqara Motion Sensor - a4refillpad : Xiaomi Motion Sensor
Aqara Temperature/Humidity Sensor - circlefield05082 : SONOFF SNZB-02
Aqara Open/Close Sensor - a4refillpad : Xiaomi Door/Window Sensor
Aqara Vibration Sensor - bspranger : Xiaomi Aqara Vibration Sensor

The odd one was the Temperature/Humidity Sensor… Temperature was high and stuck with the Xiaomi handler…and humidity was off…but updating, except there’s not much I can do about humidity inside my chest freezer. But, it was working to let me know that opening the door raised the temp above 5F (moved the sensor down in the freezer so its less affected by door opening.)…undecided if I want to know if it goes below -5F…since it was at -5.4F the last time I could see it.

Forget which sensors were tricky to get detected…most I could reset a few times, until I get a 3 flash response. The open/close sensor needs to be opened up in order to see the light. Also required me to find … my SIM ejector tool. Which seems to have become lost again… hopefully it’ll turn up the next time I need it :stuck_out_tongue:

Temp/Humidity was the first one I had tried, my first two are SONOFF SNZB-02’s. I have two handlers depending on whether humidity or temperature is more important. One controls my Humidifier(s), and the other reports on temperature in my medication cooler. There’s a post somewhere on what to tweak to make it display Humidity…

2 Likes