Why cant I turn on my Samsung oven with SmartThins app?

Why do I have to turn my oven on at the oven and not from the app? Nor can I control the temp through the app?

most likely for safety/liability reasons. just like in the US you cannot, at least legally, remotely ignite and start a fire place.

if your remote starting car were to start up on its own (hacked) and drop into gear (brake pressed and shift into reverse/drive) and cause property damage, let alone run someone over, you the owner/insurance are still liable.

1 Like

can you tell the use case when you want to turn on oven remotely.
Usually you need to put something to cook first and it can’t be done remotely.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the OP, but turning on from the app is not the same thing as wanting to turn on remotely. There are two different disability issues where people commonly want app control of an oven.

1. visual challenges. For someone who is blind, being able to use an app typically means being able to use voice control, which can be way easier then changing the settings without sight.

2. dexterity challenges. This is the one that affects me. I have very limited hand function. (I am tetraplegic.) I can, with difficulty, physically open the door and put something in, but I can’t push buttons or twist dials. So again voice control is very helpful for me.

I do understand the safety concerns, although they are somewhat less with an oven than with an open fireplace as long as you keep the stove clear.

When I first bought my smart toaster oven, it required you to physically press one button after giving the voice command in order to start cooking. That was doable but annoying.

Since then, they have updated it so that that is no longer necessary. From my point of view, a good thing.

I also use an Alexa-enabled microwave, which is one of my favorite Smart Home Devices. It has an interesting safety feature: the microwave will only turn on via Alexa if the door has been opened within the last five minutes. Otherwise it tells you the issue but won’t start. That works very well for me personally because obviously I did put something in if I wanted to use the microwave. I suppose there are people who might have something that had to soak overnight and then they wanted to just start it, maybe some kind of breakfast grains, but they would just be out of luck right now.

The balance between convenience and risk reduction is always complicated for manufacturers when we start getting into these edge cases.

But I did just want to say that app control of settings doesn’t necessarily mean the person isn’t in the kitchen. :sunglasses:

3 Likes