Which ST app to use

There are two SmartThings apps on the Apple store. I downloaded both of them and have added some devices and a v2 hub. Can’t figure out which one I should be using. The new app appears to only install things from a specific list, while the older one seems to handle any(?) zwave device. I know this is pretty basic stuff, but don’t know where else to go.

Use the new one.

1 Like

Use the new one, which we call the V3 app in the forum since it came out at the same time as the V3 hub.

The V2 classic app will be going away Sooner or later and the built in rules engine is much better in the V3 app.

If you run into a specific device where you have to use the classic app, the manufacturer will usually tell you. But there aren’t many of those left. :sunglasses:

And if you absolutely have to, you can use both apps at the same time, but do as much as you can in the new one and your life will be easier in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. The specific thing I was trying to do was to add a EVA logik plug to my network. It’s not listed in the v3 app, so I don’t know how to add it. It was listed on Amazon as “works with Smartthings”

did you try --> Add Device > Other > Generic Z-Wave device?

2 Likes

It’s zwave, right? It should add as a generic switch.

@jkp or @prjct92eh2 might know more with regard to the V3 app.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

1 Like

Using the generic Zwave device worked great for the EVA Logik smart plug. Now if I could just understand why my GE dimmer switch shows “offline” but still seems to respond to input through ST and the programs still works. What does “offline” really mean and does anyone know how to get it back “online”. I’m preparing to drop my Vivint account when the contract is up, so I plan to setup my own simple system; but everything has to work when I’m not home. Thanks for input already received.

It’s not real obvious but when you get to the list of brands, there’s a “Scan” button in the upper right. Put the device into inclusion mode, then tap Scan and it should be discovered.

1 Like

The offline status thing is a pervasive problem on the SmartThings platform, you’ll find dozens of forum threads about it. It causes problems in some use cases and not in others. So some people can ignore it and others spend weeks with support trying to find a workaround. :scream:

It’s typically only an issue if you want to set up if/then rules with multiple devices based on a device’s state: “If light A turns off, turn off the TV.” In that construct, if light A has a status of “offline,” the TV may not realize it turned off. :disappointed_relieved: But all the other parts of the system, including turning off the TV if the location.mode changes, typically continue to work fine.

The company is definitely very aware of the issue, but it’s been going on for at least a year (although maybe it’s different problems, same symptom, I don’t know).

So I just don’t know what to tell you on that one.

2 Likes

That button is horribly named. it doesn’t put the hub into inclusion mode. Only searches for samsung appliances.

2 Likes

Really? I would swear I used it to add a Z-wave switch recently… but I’m old and my memory is suspect…

1 Like

i tried it this morning and the hub wasn’t blinking :man_shrugging:

I’ve got some new switches to install. Will try it in the next couple of days

1 Like

Update:

I was able to add a new Zooz Z-wave switch using the new SmartThings app by hitting the Scan button, then putting the switch into inclusion mode. New switch was detected … and the usual process…

My hub isn’t where I can observe it so no idea if the blinky lights on it changed

1 Like

Cool, I stand corrected!

2 Likes

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.