Weatherproof door sensor with local ST handler?

As title, looking for already-weatherproof door/gate opening sensor that can be used with a ST local DTH. I know about the clingfilm tricks for the ST multipurpose sensor but would prefer one already waterproof if one exists.

Sensative strips are waterproof and run local, lots of threads about them. And reliable.

1 Like

I saw those but I couldn’t work out if they had local handlers or not. Also not sure it’s physically the right shape for an outdoor gate, as none of the edges are really in close contact anyway

Every single Z-Wave or Zigbee device will run local with an official ST DTH pretty much, what you lose sometimes are custom options, an open close sensor is an open close sensor whichever way you look at it.

1 Like

Except the Xiaomi/Aqara ones…

Those don’t have an official DTH.

1 Like

What material is your door/gate made of?
The sensative strips appear to require non-metal surfaces.

Well its really rough sawn untreated wood. Nothing would stick to it. I was going to connect each of the two parts with some string to the gate and the frame, and then let the magnet hold the strings together, so if opened the string would pull the two parts apart. Ideally it would be something like the ST door sensor but with screw holes. I can find door sensors with screw holes but they all seem to need wiring to electric or they are not designed to work with a smart system.

Screw on a thin smooth wood or plastic plate, then mount the Sensative to the plate with its adhesive strip. This can also help reduce the gap between the two sides. :sunglasses:

But, they would not work with any stock zigbee open/close DH. That’s what I meant.

2 Likes

Look like I will have to put the ST door sensors into bags, tie them to the string, and hope the magnet is strong enough to hold them together

This person did an awesome job weather proofing a contact:

2 Likes

I did the same as the person above for my exterior gate. Used a large gap reed switch connected to the external inputs of an ecolink sensor and put it in a waterproof project box.

1 Like

Why not use the Sensative strips and screw on a thin piece of wood/plastic first?

Do not put any battery-operated device into a plastic bag. Batteries can and do outgas. You can use a vented plastic case with the vents on the edge pointed to the ground, but again, why not just use the Sensative brand? No extra weatherproofing required.

and you can get a strip of wood as thick or thin as you like, screw THAT to your gate, then attach the sensor to the added piece. So no string required, either. :sunglasses:

Here’s a pic of my cedar gate with the sensative switch attached. The sensor itself has been on there for over a year. The Gap is a full 1/2 inch.

The magnet did fall off once during a vicious hail storm. I should have reattached it with a dot of gorilla glue, but I tried the staple without realizing how brittle the material was. It’s ugly, but it’s probably the most reliable device in my system.

2 Likes

No it won’t work in the location, the gate move too much in the wind it will be opening and closing all the time. Your photo shows a beautifully constructed and fitted gate. Mine is just tied with a hook and string and isn’t even the same shape as the hole it’s in. Anyone can come through it, I just need to know when they do. The idea of the string was to give tolerance for wind movement but not quite enough for a person to get through without parting the two sides - basically like a tripwire. I had already searched threads and found the ones about outgassing so I was going to look for ways to leave the bottom of the bag open

1 Like

Is it a single opening gate (hinges on one side, latch on the other)? If so, you might consider mounting whatever sensor you choose somewhere near one of the hinges. You should find there’s a lot less wind movement on that end of the gate.

1 Like

I’ll have a look, that could be possible.

1 Like

So was it decided this sensative strip can work without cloud?

Pretty much every single Z-Wave or Zigbee device (that is compatible with SmartThings, so i.e.NOT Aqara devices because they use a different Zigbee protocol) can be used with an official default ST DTH, and therefore run locally. What you may lose are advanced custom parameter settings, but as the Sensative Strip is simply an open and close sensor, there is nothing that you can lose, so yes it will run locally. Is that clear?

1 Like