My Mailbox mail notifier...works great.!

I found a nice plastic mailbox on Amazon with a little yellow notifier flag that pops up when you open the door. I thought I may be able to use that pop up mechanism for a Smartthings sensor.

Since I know the sensor I was going to use isn’t waterproof, I ordered some magnets for dry contact connections like the ecolink 2.5 has.

The enclosure I ordered has a gasket to ensure no water penetration.

I started by bolting a block of wood on the bottom of the mailbox for something to mount the magnet to. I used the magnet that came with the sensor for the back of the notifier arm, and used the provided screws. I wired the magnet switch to “COM”, and “NO”. I used a picture hanging bracket for a stop for the notifier arm so it would line up perfectly with the magnet when reset.
I think it turned out pretty good, and looks professional. Only four small screwheads inside the box. Alexa announces the arrival of the mailman. I’ve been using it for about four weeks, and it’s worked perfectly every time. My mailbox is across the street. Another thing I like about this sensor, is it’s Z Wave Plus. Longer range, and better battery life. The way I did this, there’s no interference with packages placed inside the mailbox.

5 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses:. Very clean implementation.

1 Like

I mounted a motion sensor to the back of the inside of my mailbox. When the door opens, it triggers an announcement on the inside of the house and a push notification to my phone. Works great.

I also set it up to send me a text “You’ve got mail.!” Set it up in Smartthings under “notify me when”. Works great.

1 Like

I just placed a z-wave tilt sensor on the door. When it opens, ST knows. I let Alexa tell me that i’ve got mail in addition to ST notice.

That’s a great implementation!

I went the super lazy simple route. Been working great for about 3 years now.

4 Likes

Wow!
Some great ideas here!
Thank you!

2 Likes

At first, I used a door sensor as well but every time I got small boxes, they kept knocking the magnet down. That’s why I mounted a tilt sensor on the door itself, toward the top. No interference with the mailbox opening.

1 Like

“At first, I used a door sensor as well but every time I got small boxes, they kept knocking the magnet down. That’s why I mounted a tilt sensor on the door itself, toward the top. No interference with the mailbox opening.”

If the mailman delivered the mail in the pouring rain, do you think there’s a chance it could get your sensor.? My mail guy opens the door, then goes though the mail to find mine. He’ll sit there sometimes for 30 seconds or more with the door open.

Good point. It hasn’t been a problem in almost 5 years…and I live in Chicago. Has been installed first with STv2, then with Vera, then with Homeseer and now back with STv2 new app. I’m sure it has gotten wet during all these years, but then it goes vertical again and dries up, I guess.

1 Like