Outdoor (Weatherproof) Contact Sensors

Have there been any recent breakthroughs in developing weather"proof" / outdoor contact sensors? I had been working on various solutions using plastic housings, but this gets complicated, in terms of the physical mechanics and communication with the mesh (due to the barrier of the housing and, usually, the distance from the nearest node).

I have been waiting on a great product to emerge! Any thoughts?

Sensative strips are weatherproof.
Someone has posted on here that they have used a Xiaomi contact sensor outside and it is working OK. The thinking being if it goes bad, it’s cheap to replace.
I have a ‘Heiman Z Wave Door/Window Sensor (HS1DS)’ (http://www.heimantech.com/product/83.html) on my side gate which is open to the elements. I’m in the UK and we have had some snow, strong winds, rain and snow recently and it is still working fine.
Bit big but does the job.

1 Like

I’ve been using an Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor in my wooden gate. It is currently in the midst of its 3rd Illinois winter, and it is still going strong. I haven’t even changed the battery yet.

1 Like

I can second the Aeotec. I’m using three in my outside wooded gates and they have been cranking for close to four years.

1 Like

i use these in my mailbox and on my fence post… working fine even at 10 below zero…

i did put a bead of silicone around the one on the fence gate/post.

1 Like

Chalk another one up to Aeotec in a wooden gate
and
Xiaomi door sensor (rounded one) in a project box
on a metal gate

1 Like

I have a Visonic outside on a gate, but I wrapped it in saran wrap so it’s protected to some extent from moisture. It’s been fine for a month or two. I am in SoCal so not exactly subjecting it to extremes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Bob. Going to try the Sensative product and the recessed Aeotec. Appreciate the response!

Thanks, all - great suggestions!