Virtual Thermostat with Device in the new platform

Done :smiley:

Ok, so, I checked the SmartApp code and yes, the SmartApp Connector could handle that functionality.
Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but, this is used to create virtual devices that mirror the values of actual thermostats so you can use it as you need in third-party integrations like Alexa and Google.
So, there are some things we need to consider:

1. The thermostats should appear in Alexa by default (specially those certified as WWST), so why is it a ā€œmanagerā€ needed. This is just so I can understand better
  2. You can create routines so, if a switch is turned on/off, the heater/AC does as well. Iā€™ve seen others create virtual devices for the interaction with Alexa.
    There are some Edge drivers shared by other Community developers that could help you do this:

Note: So, this idea would be, pairing the devices normally with their corresponding Edge driver, then, if they donā€™t appear on Alexa or you need other special things, you could create a virtual device and mirror their behavior using Routines or Rules. The issue with this approach is that thereā€™s a limit of 200 routines + scenes allowed per location.

1. Just as a reference, if you create a SmartApp Connector, it wouldnā€™t create Edge devices (local execution).
  • In Groovy, you needed to create the DTH file and the SmartApp.
  • In SmartApp Connector, it works different. You need to create device profiles which contain the deviceā€™s metadata in the Developer Workspace, then, from the Connector you can create devices using the profileID.
    • In this case, you need to consider that it requires you host the Connector on your own.
    • Also, the execution of those devices wonā€™t be local
1 Like