Video Monitoring - V2 Hub - Intergration with existing camera systems

I would also love to connect this to my existing unifi cameras!

1 Like

You will not get lucky!

Currently if you buy any D-Link models that is not whitelisted on that FAQ page Kris pointed out you wonā€™t be able to pair it with SmartThings. This is because D-Link puts a specific NIPCA version API on their line of cameras.

Our Device Type handler and Connect app relies on the contract of a specific version of APIs for camera WiFi setup, resolution profile configuration, password configuration, RTSP stream configuration and all the other bells & whistles.

The reason behind going for this line of support is that we cover a good range of cameras. You have the Indoor / Outdoor WiFi cameras, the more advanced features of the Pan/Tilt camera (although we havenā€™t implemented the APIs yet).

4 Likes

Jack, I liked your post, because your response is awesome and extremely informative. But I also dislike your response, because you slashed all my hopes. Please excuse me while I wipe my tears of sadness from my keyboard.

That being said. Any hope for Foscam/lower end camera support? If so any idea of support roll out? I ask because Iā€™d like to finally jump on the camera band wagon and Iā€™m willing to wait a few more months if that means I could potentially save hundreds of dollars.

1 Like

@Tyler By when do you think the API and samples will be made available to the community?

Also what are the chances for MJPEG or MP4 streaming support coming up?

1 Like

Is dropcam going to be supported for video monitoring? Or is it going wayside like official nest integration!

1 Like

I would hope the Dropcam gets support. The only reason I bought it is because of its initial integration with Smartthings. Does anyone know of a reason Dropcam could not be compatible?

2 Likes

Another vote for rtsp

1 Like

Sounds like Dropcam (Nestcam) is dead.

I was in the same boat purchasing Dropcam because it integrated with SmartThings. I feel your pain.

That sucks! All of the supported cameras get terrible reviews. Thanks for the info!

I have dozens of Ethernet security cameras from 2008, and they all support RTSP feedsā€¦ there are dozens of iphone apps that support RTSP, its very cool.

When I heard smartthings was going to support video. the first thing that came to mind was RTSPā€¦

SMARTTHINGS PLEASE ADD RTSP SUPPORT!! THANKS.

2 Likes

They said they were going to open up RTSP to the community after Smart Home Monitor video goes out of beta. They are focused on getting the supporting models working and getting the bugs worked out first, which makes sense.

Does anybody out there actually own any of the supported cameras? I would really like to get honest feedback before I invest in another camera. Thanks!

1 Like

And a Vote for Drop cam as I have 3 now working in two places. The only reason I bought it is because of its initial integration with SmartThings. The drop cam works with the new APP as it did with the old one and if that continues with the 2 new Hubs I have coming that would be good.

2 Likes

@drake0508 @Boatman

We are waiting for Nest to release the new API for Nestcam which is backward compatible with the Dropcams. Once they release the new API we can start to support these devices again.

4 Likes

Cool. So I can hold off from going out and buying a different camera then. Thatā€™s all I wanted to know. Wasnā€™t looking forward to any of the supported cameras based on user reviews.

Will there be any sport for POE cameras? That is really what I am after.

Am I understanding it correctly that if you donā€™t have a listed supported camera that there is no video support (via monitoring service or otherwise)?

1. The D-Link DCS-2310L is POE and it is currently supported.

2. Yes, you are correct. There is not streaming and video event capturing unless the camera make and model is on the ā€œsupported listā€.

Further on number 1: SmartThings does not need to know or control anything about POE. POE, actually makes it a little easier for device integration due to the fact the POE cameras typically donā€™t have any WiFi to manage.

Further on Number 2: Realize this ā€œsupported listā€ is brand new and will no doubt be expanded on. I suggest that this community help define which next make/models are integrated/supported. They will need to have RTSP & H.264 streaming capability.

HTH,
Twack

1 Like

Hope soā€¦ Who cares for those dlink cameras and witth their horrible reviews from what I heard?

Tons of POE cameras with RTSPā€¦ Once they support RTSP (after beta) you should have lots of options to choose from.

1 Like

Just placing a vote for Ubiquityā€™s camerasā€¦ Ubiquity Surveillance System, Ubiquity Video Data Sheet

Iā€™m curious if the 4 camera limit per hub is firm or may be expanded after the beta? How is ST planning to handle customers who want to integrate 4+ cameras?