Usual Daylight Saving Time Problem (2018)

As always, smart lighting routines did not adapt to the change to standard time.

This is a tradition by now, I suppose, and so widely accepted that no-one mentions it anymore?

2 Likes

There are two or three other threads on it, they just didn’t put daylight savings time in the header. :sunglasses:

And somebody even resurrected a thread from two years ago:

1 Like

The usual again for me. My log shows turning off at correct time, but actual time was hour earlier. Unbelievable they can’t get this right. I think I will call tomorrow and harass.

1 Like

same thing here. I set the house to arm at 8:45 am. But it actually armed at 7:45, and then my wife open the door and siren went off, and scared the crap out of my 2 year old son.

One would think DST would be a pretty standard thing to get right… sigh (yeah, it hit me too). This is exactly why I refuse to put my critical automations in ST.

1 Like

Especially since I could train a chimp to configure and maintain an NTP server!

1 Like

Do the hubs even have a way to set the time manually?

No. It’s all based on the location associated with your cloud account.

Well, that’s a bite. How goofy. Possibly the first computer I’ve ever used that doesn’t do time right and also doesn’t let you set it. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks for the info, I was looking through the dev console, the app, etc…time to find out what NTP server it syncs off of and spoof the address locally…

It helps to just think of the hub as the radio box. Smartthings is still primarily a cloud-based platform.

NTP server? splorf! are you joshing?

I wonder whether the profoundly hermetic mysteries of the NTP server have been revealed to the developers? It’s not exactly deep DARPA stuff. My son ran an NTP server on a raspberry pi when he was 9.

That helps actually. Lowering expectations is now a go! If I ever remember to set up a traffic sniffer between the hub and the interwebs I’ll update what I see for connections as a possible alternative to make the clock work.

The traffic sniffer won’t do you any good, it always goes to the SmartThings cloud. It’s the cloud which gets the time and passes it to the hub, but you will not have access to that path. Remember that smartthings is mostly a cloud-based platform – – most of the logic is handled inside the cloud where you can’t see it.

MITM SSL traffic sniffing isn’t inherently difficult, I get what you’re saying though, if it is all handled from their end and the device is a dumb radio box one would have to emulate the entire cloud, not just one endpoint. Well, you may have saved me some time!

1 Like