Using Mode in New SmartThings App Automations vs Routines? (How to Filter out specific modes?)

I am still using both apps, but I’ve started playing with Automations and Scenes in the new app just to see how they work. I have quite a few Routines set up in the Classic app already. I wish that Samsung would just port the same functionality, but that’s a subject for a different time. Anyway, one thing I do in my Routines (e.g., Good Night) is to provide that it doesn’t run when I set the Mode to Pause (which I think is a Mode I created, but not sure; it’s been a while). Is there a way to do this in the new Apps’ Automations? I see that Modes are available in the If statement, but it looks like they only work if you select one (which means to me, the Automation only runs if the Mode selected is on). How do I get the inverse? Do not run if Mode is Pause? Hmm, maybe if I select everything but Pause that will work? Then all of the other modes have to be true? The problem with this method, though, is that Modes might change. The old Routine just let me say “don’t run if in Pause”. I’d have to update Automations whenever modes changed to ensure that they all are selected. Anyway, I may have answered my own question, but if others have thoughts I’d like to hear them. Thanks!

Read the last 2 posts in this thread:

This setup worked for me. Your case sounds pretty similar.

Thanks for the idea. I don’t have as much to set as the one in the other post, though. I just have a LR lighting routine that runs at 1030 pm. However, I don’t want it to run if the Mode (not SHM state) is Pause (as opposed to Home, Away, etc.). I believe that the Hub’s modes (like Pause, Home, Away, and not the same as alarm modes (SHM Modes) like Disarmed, etc.).

Anyway, I did run into an issue. I have a scene that turns on a lot of lots when my wife gets home. It’s connected to an automation that sense when she’s home. I then set up a separate scene for just one light. I then tried to link it to a new automation, but I got an error that I couldn’t link the scene to the automation because it conflicted. Have you seen this? Does it conflict because it controls the same lights? If that’s the case, then that’s going to be a problem because I have Routines in the classic app that control similar lights for different triggers. I’ll keep experimenting, though. Thanks.

I think the thing you have to keep in mind is; you can’t have a device or mode on both sides of the if/then logic statement and that includes devices and modes embedded in scenes.

Check your conflicting scene. Does it include the device that you used to trigger the automation? If so, you have to find a different trigger, or leave that device out of the scene.

1 Like

I believe that must be it. I probably had my device as a trigger and an action. Thanks for the clarification.