Using Hue with ST via Matter

Yeah, as the article notes, if you already have a hue integration that you’re happy with, research carefully before switching as you may lose some functionality. :thinking:

2 Likes

In my case, I did not lose functionality. But have duplicates. The community beta is still there with its functionality and the duplicate , the matter one, has basic functionality.

Also, duplicates in google home as well…

1 Like

Problem is the devices are counted against the 200 max. how do I undo this?

1 Like

I deleted the matter from Hue app, my 50 hue matter devices come offline. The Blueyeti devices stay online. Later re-added the Hue matter bridge inside the philips app, added the matter code to associate in ST… and bang another 50 extra.
I now have 205 Devices. Getting late, i’ll delete them later. At least I can undo.

10 mins later, I am down to 155 devices, so matter cleans itself up, it would appear.

1 Like

I would expect the duplicates if you were trying to use both the Matter integration and any of the other available integrations, including the one from @blueyetisoftware. Since LAN devices like the hue hub do not have a unique manufacturer ID, the system doesn’t know they’re the same thing.

1 Like

Just to add, indeed it would seem it is on the matter side the clean up happens since the second set of duplicates on google home app are gone too. which make sense.

1 Like

The main draw to the driver I wrote is that it support rooms, zones and scenes, which wouldn’t be duplicated in matter. I would suggest that you just don’t use it for individual lights, and you wouldn’t have duplicates.

That said, I’m also not sure what you get out of matter. I’m not aware of any features that would be worth using it yet.

2 Likes

According to the manufacturer site:

All Philips Hue lights and smart accessories, such as dimmer switches and smart buttons, will work with Matter if connected via Philips Hue Bridge. The only exceptions are the Philips Hue Play HDMI sync box and the dial on the Tap dial switch.

That should mean that a few additional hue brand devices will come in through the matter integration versus the official smartthings integration. But your custom edge driver already handles all of those and I think more, so I don’t see any advantage over yours. :thinking:

3 Likes

Are you still having this issue with a 200 limit ?

2 Likes

I am having a strange problem with the matter integration. In smartthings, when linked through matter my hue ambiance bulbs can only be turned on or off (no dimming or changing the colour temperature). But when linked in Google Home (also via matter), I can control the colour temperature and dim the bulbs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Weirdly on my full colour bulbs, I can control the colour and dimming through smartthings. The issue is just with the white ambiance bulbs…

I’ve tried removing and re-adding the bulbs but no luck.

1 Like

I think it might be coming across as a switch rather than a bulb. Does anyone know how to fix this?

1 Like

My Wiz bulbs use the Matter Switch Driver and have dimming, color temperature, and color. So that is not the problem.

1 Like

I get the same as you. However, google home sees my hue Thru matter devices exposed to smartthings. Like you my white bulb can only controlled on or off, identical to behavior in ST app. I do not have a google hub or google matter device to test.

Yes, a matter bridge appears in your list whenever you give the QR or code and import goes through. Removing this matter bridge from ST warns that child devices will also be removed. It does. So I am back to my normal 104 devices now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Would it be worth noting that the matter bridge itself has the matter switch driver, and you can’t change it :thinking:?

Hello together

Has anyone tried connecting their Hue Bridge to Smartthings via Matter? If so did that work? And what would be the advantages over a connection via Edge driver ?

Thank you

2 Likes

I’ve moved your post to the existing thread, so go up to the top of the thread to read the discussion.

The advantages over the existing stock edge driver would be you get some additional devices.

The only advantage over the popular custom edge driver would be that it’s not a custom edge driver. But the custom edge driver from @blueyetisoftware already has more functionality than matter will provide, including the ability to use scenes created in the hue app.

[ST Edge] Philips Hue LAN [BETA] (3rd Party Driver, Not ST Native)

So, at the time of this posting, there’s no particular functional advantage to using matter for Hue devices. :thinking:

6 Likes

@Zmarc curious I saw you said when you linked Hue to SmartThings via Matter you had duplicate devices that shortly deduped automatically.

Did the new Matter versions of the devices automatically replace the existing versions in all of your SmartThings automations when they deduped or did you have to rebuild each SmartThings automation, selection the new Matter versions of the devices for each?

1 Like

Actually, I have to be transparent here. I later realized that I had removed the matter bridge component (had forgotten), which implied all children to be removed. Sorry for the confusion.

To answer, I was more interested to see how matter would come play in my system. So, yes, I had duplicates, but I never changed my routines. They were left untouched, so IDs were still pointing at the community edge driver for the old ones.

Funny enough, the community driver has slight different colorimetry than the matter ones. For example hue lights don’t get as red (more a orange-red, less saturated) as the matter (or native hue app), for that matter.

But, the functionality of the community driver (thanks @blueyetisoftware ) is way more better than the standard matter implementation at the moment!

2 Likes