Use SmartThings Hub without Mobile App?

I am working on a project for school and we need to wirelessly control our own hardware with a mobile app that we develop. I was wondering if the ST hub can be used without the ST Mobile app and SmartApps. We would have our own cloud service that our mobile app would send requests to. Then the cloud service would relay to the hub and the hub to our hardware. Is it possible to send data to the hub without registering with ST at all?

Unfortunately, SmartThings is not a good match to what you describe. SmartThings uses open standards but is not an open platform.

See the following for suggested alternatives:

1 Like

Directly to the hub, JD is right. But cloud to cloud can totally be done. Have you checked out our web services guides in the docs?

Note: You’ll only have access to devices and some other features. Things such as adding/removing a device won’t be possible. But you can get really creative. Checkout SmartTiles.click

1 Like

Consider Particle (they have personal cloud options, I believe) and XBee (or many other choices) as your local radio…

Really endless possibilities,… Tell us more about your project if you’d like suggestions.

Pretty sure that even cloud to cloud they can’t do this, though, right?

Is it possible to send data to the hub without registering with ST at all?

Because access to the smartThings cloud requires a SmartThings account, I believe.

Yep, you are right

We want our final project to be a stand alone product, so a user could use our app to set up with our hardware and just use the hub to transmit zigbee signals. We thought about just making our hardware wifi capable but wanted to check out zigbee for better power. It looks like SmartThings is not going to give us the freedom we want.

Thanks for all the help