Use SmartSense Multi for Temp Only

I was going to buy a dedicated temperature sensor but then realized I had an unused SmartSense Multi in a drawer. I put it in the location I want to monitor but only want temperature from it, not open/closed status. Is there a way to change its device type so Ask Alexa and my Stringify dashboard only provide temperature? Is there another way to approach this? Ask Alexa always gives the sensor status and then provides the temperature, when I just want temperature. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has.

Tagging @MichaelS

I am sure that this same procedure will work for your “SmartSense Multi” as I did for our SmartThings open/close sensor which we use in the sub zero freezer.

I just modified and renamed the “SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor” from the IDE “My Device Handlers” and then updated the open/close device to use the modified DTH. There is a separate DTH for the SmartSense Multi in the templates section.

I also modified the colors of the temperature tiles to reflect blue, yellow and red for a quick notification of the various normal, warning and critical temperature levels.

See below the section of the DTH file that you need to modify, just comment out the tile with the open/close and alter the “main” and “details” lines, give it a new filename and edit the device to use that DTH.

tiles(scale: 2) {
/*		multiAttributeTile(name: "contact", type: "generic", width: 2, height: 2) {
			tileAttribute("device.contact", key: "PRIMARY_CONTROL") {
				attributeState "open", label: '${name}', icon: "st.contact.contact.open", backgroundColor: "#e86d13"
				attributeState "closed", label: '${name}', icon: "st.contact.contact.closed", backgroundColor: "#00A0DC"
			}
		}
*/
		valueTile("temperature", "device.temperature", inactiveLabel: false, width: 2, height: 2) {
			state "temperature", label: '${currentValue}°',
					backgroundColors: [
							[value: 0, color: "#3498DB"],
							[value: 5, color: "#F4D03F"],
							[value: 10, color: "#FF0000"],
					]
		}
		valueTile("battery", "device.battery", decoration: "flat", inactiveLabel: false, width: 2, height: 2) {
			state "battery", label: '${currentValue}% battery', unit: ""
		}

standardTile("refresh", "device.refresh", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat", width: 2, height: 2) {
			state "default", action: "refresh.refresh", icon: "st.secondary.refresh"
		}

main(["temperature"])
		details(["temperature", "battery", "refresh"])
	}
}

Yes. The device will report as primary whichever slot it is put in the app. So if you change the it from the open closed area to the temperature area it will report temperature as primary.

1 Like