Update Required: New Sonos Integration

You talking about voice notifications in the new app?

I had same issue. Even with my volume on Sonos all the way down the alerts would be like max volume. Contacted support who said it’s a Sonos issue. Smh.

Hi all: A question re: the original subject of this thread. There now appears to be 3 separate DTHs for Sonos. Which one am I supposed to use? And are any of them actually going to go away as was originally implied in the thread?

I added my SONOS to ST via the New ST app at the end of November '19 and it used the “LAN Sonos Player”. I had not realized there were others until I found this thread looking to see if I can control the Sonos Station/Favorite directly from webCoRE…alas so far it seems no, and I am stuck with managing an unwieldy IFTTT setup. Awkward and clunky but it works.

The other 2 are:

1. LAN Sonos Player websocket - which is supposed to be the new one but has very little “capability”
  2. Sonos Player - which seems have to have the same as LAN Sonos Player but I did not compare every line item.

Also all three of them show Execution Location = Cloud. Someone had showed the LAN Sonos Player Websocket as being Local but it did not change for me when I installed the DTH…but I did lose some functionality I had set up in IFTTT so I went back to the one installed by default with the new ST App.

BTW I have a Sonos Play 3 that is a couple or 3 years old. It is still considered a “new” device according to Sonos’ recent announcements about not supporting some of their older speakers.

BTW 2 - I did have an Announcement working with appropriate volume control using LAN Sonos Player but I turned it off as I figured it would be too spooky and annoying with our guests coming and going all the time. I know who comes in based on the code entered on the lock. We run a small B&B.

Thanks all.

You should use LAN Sonos Player websocket. That is the latest DH and it runs locally. Indeed, if you have added your device really in November 2019, then that should have been assigned directly.

What do you mean “very little capacity”? If you mean that you cannot control it through WebCoRe, than you need to reach out to the WebCoRe Minions. As far as I know they haven’t implemented the new capabilities what has came with the new DH. For sure, @joshua_lyon has implemented integration in the Sharptools.io rule engine for the new capabilities of the new DH. You can control you Sonos Favourite presets etc.
The new DH has full control over the Sonos, volume/mute, play/stop/pause, next/previous song and preset selection, and media details too. It is far more better than the Sonos app, what allows you to control the device only on the same network. The DH allows you full control from anywhere. But all works in the new OneApp, the one with the “Snowflake” icon.

2 Likes

Wow! That hadn’t occurred to me!

Is there a way to group speakers for playback like you can in the Sonos app?

I have only one Sonos, so I cannot tell exactly. But the DH has group attributes too. So you can use groups I think. Actually the last announcement in the new app talks about group announcements on multiple speakers. And I think I saw something on the Google Play description about the last update, which mentions grouping speakers.

I mean full control, as starting music from within the SmartThings app, not being on the same network as the Sonos. The Sonos app is limited to LAN control as far as I know. You can start the last played tracks/album or start any of your My Sonos Favourite presets, basically anything what has been added there in the Sonos app. Like Spotify albums, tracks, playlist, or TuneIn radio stations. And that is what the Sharptools.io can utilize too. Check their video in the other post.

2 Likes

So still being new to this I could be not understanding what I see. So here is the screen shots from the 3 different DTHs. And yes I did install the Sonos in my ST hub (Nvidia Shield) at the end of November. I had never used the hub before and had just bought a few wi-fi lights to try it out. And ST picked LAN Sonos Player as the DTH. I had never looked at the details in IDE until I read this thread and switched to the Websockets version.

I have virtual switches defined in ST connected via IFTTT to tun on a Favorite in Sonos. Then I wrote a simple piston to make sure that only the last pressed Station switch was “on”. It just turns the others off. I display and control this also in ActionTiles.

As I mentioned I would prefer to set the Station/Favorite directly from webCoRE which is how I found this thread. So I don’t know if that is a missing webCoRE capability or if the Device Handlers cannot provide that capability.

When I switched to the Websockets DTH, my switches via ActionTiles immediately stopped working. I changed the DTH back to the original LAN Sonos Player and all was good again. I never considered if I should have deleted the Sonos and re-added it and then updated all my IFTTT/webCoRE/Action tiles after changing the DTH.

And that is when I noticed that the Current State data for the Websocket version was significantly less than the others. Whih lead to my assumption of “less capable” for the new DTH.

Either way I want to make sure that I use the correct DTH and wonder why the other 2 are still available and what are the difference between them all. Some “release Notes” would be helpful if there is something like that I can read.

Thanks for the help in understanding all this.

LAN Sonos Player:
Shows Execution Location = Cloud

LAN Sonos Player Websocket:
Does not show any TrackData so my assumption is that the data is not available then via ST/webCoRE

Sonos Player
Current States Data is similar to LAn Sonos Player.

I would try deleting the device and then let SmartThings rediscover it.

The new device handler has local execution capability and has a few more features and functionality than the old DTH. (One exception being that the playText()/speak() commands were dropped so you would need an alternative approach for TTS)

As @GSzabados mentioned, SharpTools.io has full support for the new DTH, including Album art and activating the presets (via rules). We’ve seen some pretty cool usage of the new DTH for doing things like creating jukebox dashboards:

SharpTools.io Jukebox Dashboard with Album Art

SharpTools.io Jukebox Dashboard

2 Likes

Thanks @joshua_lyon but this is most definitely not what I see when I look in IDE. I deleted the device and added it back in using the new ST app and it chose LAN Sonos player. So I deleted and tried with ST Classic and got the same thing. I tried adding a deice via IDE but there appears to be no device discovery so I tried using the same Network ID and that did not work either.

So at the moment, I can only add it using the ST new app and then change the DTH to the Websocket version. But then all I see for data is what I posted. Nothing anywhere near what you can see.

Also:

I am using ActionTiles at the moment but I am voting for a little consistency. I don’t want to have to purchase SharpTools when the ability should be in webCoRE and I realize webCoRE is not an official ST platform but they seem to be very well “connected” for lack of a better word.

So now depending on what I want to do, I have to either implement capability in ST Native, or maybe IFTTT or maybe webCoRE or maybe ActionTools.

And the less I have to use my SmartPhone the better. It is fine for adding the odd device and doing a quick “somethingOrOther”, but it is not a tool to develop with or to be the primary control device especially when tools like SharpTools or ActionTiles are available.

@joshua_lyon, as @Michael_Edmonds mentioned that he has an Nvidia Shield, I have some doubts that would it run locally. The Nvidia Shield hasn’t received Firmware update for ages. It might have missing something for local execution, but I am just guessing.

@Michael_Edmonds, the LAN Sonos and Sonos Player should utilize the mediaPlayer capability what is supported by WebCoRe, the new web socket version uses Media Playback and many other.
Actually I’ve found the post what you need. And it gives a hint why your setup used the LAN Sonos instead of the web socket one.

1 Like

Thanks @GSzabados. I had read this post but did not clue in to the HubCoreVersion. My shield is still running 0.20.12. and the post stated the Hubs V2/V3 need 0.27.x

Which would explain why it keeps selecting the old DTH. BUT… should I not be able to select the new DTH in IDE and all be good? Or is my Hub firmware version simply incompatible with the new DTH regardless?

Guess I need to bug ST about getting the Shield updated. (not holding my breath.)

That is probably a better question for support, or maybe @BarryA.

(I wouldn’t.)

Hi @Michael_Edmonds: You’ll want to keep your Sonos speakers on the LAN Sonos Player DTH, which is what is set initially during discovery on Nvidia Shields. Only hubs running firmware >= 0.27.x can make use of the local WebSocket version, and unfortunately the Shield is still on 0.20.x.

Barry

2 Likes

@BarryA, thanks for the prompt answer! :+1:

Hi @BarryA. Yes I just discovered that.

So then the big question is what is up with the Smartthings Link development cycle? It seems to be a long way behind if the version number is any indication.

Nvidia just released yet another update to the Shield today so the V2 Shield I have is going to be sticking around for a long while.

Thanks also for the fast response.

I am trying to change to this new DH. Some I updated in IDE and since a pair had different DHs, I deleted both of them. But when I try to re-add them, nothing happens and it stops at 60% just like it happened to someone else. Is deletion of all speakers first, a solution?

The SmartThings Link contains only the Zigbee and Zwave radios, the core SmartThings hub firmware is built into the Android OS image that is released by Nvidia. Unfortunately, updates to the SmartThings hub firmware requires business level action between Samsung/SmartThings and Nvidia that is out of the control of the hub engineering team. We cannot release hub firmware updates independently of Nvidia’s image updates.

I understand your concern, it is no doubt frustrating to have equipment with firmware that does not support the latest features. It is possible the SmartThings hub firmware will be updated on the Shield in the future, but I do not know when this will happen.

1 Like

I very strongly recommend moving all Sonos speakers to the new WebSocket DTH at the same time. Having a mix of local and cloud executing Sonos speakers is not a supported configuration and you will experience issues with playback and automations with group speakers.

Discovery of Sonos speakers can be finicky if there is a lot of SSDP broadcast traffic on your network. For example, I run my Sonos speakers on the same network as two Hue bridges which are known to spam networks with unnecessary SSDP responses. This often times causes Sonos speakers to “go quite” and stop responding to SSDP requests by trying to “play nice” on the network.

If this is issue causing your inability to discover Sonos, a quick power cycle of one of your Sonos speakers should get them responding again.

1 Like

Bummer… not unexpected… but also not great architectural design. The shield continues to be a great pierce of hardware but Samsung/ST gave away all control with this approach.

Partnerships of any kind are never straightforward.

P.S. How do we get on the bandwagon so to speak to start pushing for this or to at least find out what the road map is for the Shield/ST? You @BarryA (aka ST) are 1 part of the trinity. The Shield forums are poor at best with little participation from Nvidia.

This also makes me concerned for all future device manufacturers that announce “WWST”. Because based on this…the more accurate answer of the certification is “WWST…maybe…it depends…only if”.

Also if the Shield Smartthings Link are only a few percent of your clients, then tell us we are Legacy and we should move on. Much better knowing that than to think that we get to participate in all future “WWST” announcements.

Thanks.

1 Like