SONOS not working as before

Hi everyone - I can help shed some light on the recent updates to Sonos.

Today we announced a new, WWST (Works With SmartThings) and WWS (Works With Sonos) certified integration for Sonos devices. Unlike the previous Sonos Labs integration that relied on Sonos’ undocumented and unsupported UPnP API, this is a completely new, locally executing integration using WebSockets (thus the new DTH name, LAN Sonos Player WebSocket).

I can confirm that the new integration does NOT use the Music Player capability. Music Player is a deprecated capability and will no longer be used for any new WWST integrations. As some here have already pointed out, LAN Sonos Player Websocket uses the following capabilities to replace Music Player:

Media Playback
Media Track Control
Media Presets
Media Group
Audio Volume
Audio Mute
Audio Track Data
Audio Notifications

I understand the headaches that this has and will cause users/developers that rely on Music Player for their SmartApps and Automations, and we here at SmartThings acknowledge the lack of migration support for deprecated capabilities. We are working on solutions to help support these transitions in the future.

As of today, any hub running hubCore version 0.27.x or greater (which at this time is only v2/v3 hubs) will add Sonos speakers using the new WebSocket integration.

Rolling back to the cloud-executing Labs integration (LAN Sonos Player) may be possible if you manually migrated to the new integration, but if the Sonos player was discovered recently and added with the new integration, it can not be migrated back.

As always, feel free to ask me more questions and I will try to do my best to answer them.

Barry

4 Likes