Turn on Fan (switch) when Samsung WiFi Cooktop is turned on?

I purchased a 36" Samsung Wifi Cooktop as linked below. The Cooktop can be viewed in the smart things app but no options are given to use it to set up automations. I am trying to set it up so when a burner is turned on and gas is coming out (which is visible in the app) that a switch automatically turns on my above hood system. Any thoughts anyone has are much appreciated.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-36-built-in-gas-cooktop-with-wifi-fingerprint-resistant-black-stainless-steel/6261808.p?skuId=6261808

Tagging @garrett.kranz

1 Like

Automation capabilities definitely can vary by appliance type, model code, etc. quite a bit.

Iā€™m not super familiar with this particular appliance, I could tell you what it should be able to do if you can pull it up in the IDE and provide me the ā€œID (vid)ā€ and ā€œNamespace (mnmn)ā€ values for the device.

The IDE if you are not already aware can be accessed via https://account.smartthings.com using your Samsung Account.

Another thing to check for would be the ā€œDevice IDā€ as it displays in your URL bar when viewing the device in the IDE. If it contains a bunch of 0ā€™s, it is very unlikely it offers Automation capabilities.

2 Likes

To be honest, I wouldnā€™t expect too much.

I have a washer - ZERO Automation option.

I have a fridge, what I have bought for a Wifi dongle. Here below are the options. (Quite disappointingā€¦)

To control:

I have a vacuum as well, that has nice option to automate on.

But a bit disappointing to control:

(No Start, just Auto, no Stop, but Recharging, but maybe they mean exactly the same.)

Otherwise thanks for @garrett.kranz for the top notch answer regarding what to look at.

1 Like

I just opened that IDE and I see my plugs but am not seeing the cooktop. In the mobile app though I see all of them as you can see in the attached image.

Did some poking around with what I could gather from your screenshot about the Cooktop, and this is the case for this device:

Looking on Amazon, this product was released in 2018. Whether or not Samsung products were truly designed and optimized for SmartThings use during that time (proceeds my involvement in SmartThings) seems to be hit or miss based on my experience.

Again, not super familiar with this type of Appliance, but does it plug into AC power? Perhaps use a smart plug with energy monitoring to determine when it is ā€œonā€? Automation like:

IF: Plug for Cooktop, Energy > X
THEN: Turn on Range Lights

(As an example, be sure to reference the Amp/Wattage capabilities of the smart plug and what is required by the Cooktop should you go this route. There are some good ā€œheavy dutyā€ smart plugs on the market now a days.)

2 Likes

Thanks very much. I like the idea of the energy monitoring but it only uses electricity for an electric starter and wifi. I would be able to detect it turning on, but not off. It is a gas cooktop though. Do you know of anything I could do to monitor the gas flow and make that smart? I also noticed [captured with wireshark] that the device sends some command somewhere over wifi every time the gas burners are turned on or off. (I can also view which burner is on or off in my app). Any thoughts on how to capture this information and tell a smart plug to turn on and off based on those commands?

If it support the OCF API, then you have a chance to do so something with some external interaction.

This is what has been found regarding the Samsung ACs.

It might works with the cocktop as well.

1 Like

This was the original topic how the OCF command was found by @JRFabbi.

Iā€™ve heard of folks using Z-Wave/Zigbee Valves to open and close gas valves, but Iā€™m not immediately familiar with something that would monitor flow, specifically for gas.

The all 0000s in Device ID usually means it is ā€œSHPā€ which most likely will not use OCF (hence very limited functionality), but worth a shot for sure. It is clearly delivering state to the Cloud in some fashion.

1 Like

What ā€œSHPā€ stands for? Do you have any reference to that protocol?

It is really the lack of interest from Samsung to deliver a decent solution regarding smart connectivity. The device is available in the app, shows values as well, would be hard to standard capabilities to get that status available through the automation builder? I really doubt that.

There was another topic, where someone wanted to start the washing machine when electricity price is low, but he was unable to automate it.

These are really simple smart home solutions, what Samsung products unable to achieve, but the price tag meanwhile is really thick.

Anyhow, thanks for the info, well appreciated!

1 Like

Just to be clear, that is NOT a DIY solution to think of. If you need any solution like that, then use a professional installer and get advice what can be installed legally.

Otherwise if you have only the gas hob, and no gas central heating, then you could use a smart meter attached to the gas meter, there was a new model which should work with water and gas flow meters. @JDRoberts, what is the brand of the flow meter what can be attached to any water and gas meters, and the second generationwas just out recently? (But I really doubt that you donā€™t have gas central heating if you have a gas hob.)

1 Like

In almost all jurisdictions in either the US or the EU it requires a special contractorā€™s license to do anything that affects gas flow. Itā€™s not a DIY project.

@Zac_Henson, if you are technical enough, you can grab the CLI and check the deviceā€™s details:

Use the commands:

smartthings devices

To get the id of the device, it will be a 1 or 2 digit number, depends on how many devices you have.

Then use the command

smartthings devices:status id -j

Where id is the number what youā€™ve got before.

You will see how the device reports the burners state.

You only need to find a way to get that as a trigger for any sort of solution, maybe WebCore.

@orangebucket, @jody.albritton is there an easy way to get one of the custom statuses as a trigger for an Automation in the Rules API or WebCore? Is it possible to subscribe to it somehow?

1 Like

@joshua_lyon, is it possible to subscribe to a custom capability with Sharptools.ioā€™s rule engine? Has anyone managed to do it to get notifications from an OCF device which doesnā€™t expose the feature to the Automation builder in the app, but does it on the main and dashboard tiles?

Is using a custom IFTTT trigger too far out if the realm of possibility?

No idea, I have doubts that IFTTT would be able to detect the state of the burner as it is not exposed towards the Automation builder, I guess it will not be exposed to IFTTT as well, but try to give a try.

SmartThings Rules API would be a good solution if it can subscribe to that state change.

Try the CLI , check where it is visible the state change in the deviceā€™s status and we will try to find a solution how it would work as a trigger. Post here what you get as a JSON output when the burner is off and when it is on.

@garrett.kranz, @nayelyz should be able to tell how to use that change as a trigger if Rules API supports that custom capability.

1 Like

Thank you all so much for your help. This looks like the best pathway forward.

1 Like