Time based events failing?

none of my apps are working right now. They were 8 hours ago.

All of my schedules using RM has been working since yesterdayā€¦ so far. They are a mix of time events and sunrise/sunset with offsets.

Thatā€™s a good thing eibyer; wish I was having that same luck. I have been following what support has advised very closely and am not having any luck. Iā€™ve been going around with these issues though like the rest of us since October. I have rebuilt all of my routines, I have changed the trigger times to ā€œunusualā€ times (like 5:23 for example instead of 5:30) and that hasnā€™t done anything either. I havenā€™t blown it all away to try rule machine yet which is my next step but thatā€™s going to be a whole lot of time and effort even with my basic setup which I feel is considerably more simple than most. Just frustrated all around.

Ok, so far all my rules have been working properly but that may soon end. I may have discovered another problem. Each morning I go though each triggered event on the IDE to check when the next event is scheduled for. This morning, even though all my events triggered on time, I discovered something weird. Two (maybe more) events which did trigger correctly, are now scheduled to run 1 second later from the previous run. Below are the two examples. Each of these events occur once every 24 hours. Like I said, they worked this AM but look at when the next event is to occur. In the past :frowning:

1 Like

When I look at mine they are reporting that the next run time is in the past (3 days ago)ā€¦ what do I even do to flush this and refresh it?

Open the app/rule/routine on your mobile. Edit it (change and set it back) and saveā€¦ Good to go until the next time it fails

Thanks cdikland; completely ridiculous that we have to go through this crapā€¦ takes so much time. I appreciate it.

Thatā€™s what I did after the database changes they made to make sure all my timed events were current.

That is bizarre. Could be a programming bug where they calculate next execution time incorrectly. Any ideas, @slagle ?

It is bizarreā€¦ Makes me wonder if all my previous problems with time based events were related to this issue or were they, as I alway believed, events that simply did not runā€¦

There very well may be several issues at play that result in the scheduled not executing. I wish ST were more forthcoming wrt the root cause of scheduling issues.

2 Likes

Same here. I wonder if the support staff is also kept in the dark or if they are to just keep spinning the wheels as usual with support issues and pretend like there isnā€™t some bigger root cause going on here. Iā€™m sure they are frustrated too.

There is also this short discussion on the same topic. My Routine based on Sunset Routinely Fails

Looks to be a common and relatively recent problem, without a good answer.

Here is what puzzles me. Although I experience the most of the same problems described above I dont recall ever having my sunset events failing. Certainly not to the extent expressed in the posts you linked. Iā€™m curious, has anyone else been mostly spared from sunset/rise failures??

they donā€™t always fail, but very often run but donā€™t do the operations that are supposed to be triggered ā€¦ depending on how many you have.

Yeah, ive been frustrated by my 10pm goodnight routine never running, but my 5am good morning routine always does. My smartlighting sunset and sunrise lights always flip properly too. Its JUST the 10pm goodnight routine.

I recently had problems with a time-based event not firing. Read somewhere on here that events programmed to fire on the hour and half hour can get skipped due to blah blah blah donā€™t remember the issue, I changed mine to fire 2 mins before the hour and itā€™s been working fine since,

I had not heard of this problem, but in an attempt to troubleshoot what is going on, I too have moved some triggers to fire a minute or two earlier or later than before.

I have also noticed an increase in failed attempts to engage/disengage the security system. I would see in the list of actions that the routine would run (when it was still running) but would not switch to armed/disarmed as commanded. I have also seen on/off commands being sent but not getting the ā€œlight is offā€ log entry even though the bulb did respond and turn off.

I have had this numerous timesā€¦ it comes and goes (mostly stays away fortunately). This in my case was due to the device state not being refreshed in ST. Of course to them, it was something with the bulbs and not their product but regardless sometimes a z-wave repair or removing and re-adding the device seems to work although a complete pain (do this one with support on chat if you canā€¦ they have a way of doing something on their end so you donā€™t need to completely reprogram everything in your system that had to do with that bulb). Then sometimes Iā€™d have the issue and then the next day it would just be fineā€¦ but it has to do with ST not knowing the state of the device. The hub will send the command, the bulb will comply, but either the bulb doesnā€™t communicate the state ā€œrefreshā€ back to the hub or the hub doesnā€™t listen.

1 Like

I have been having issues with the time based triggers for a whileā€¦ My good morning, good night routines work fine for few days and stop! When I checked the schedule history stopped jobs, I have noticed that the ā€˜Next Run Timeā€™ is not incremented correctly. To me, this seems to be real issue.

I had a job to trigger at 6am and it seems the job ran a second before the scheduled time and as you can see, the next run time is not updated. This job wonā€™t run again as the next run time is in the past! Resubmitting App settings by clicking ā€˜Doneā€™ option from the mobile app, seem to fix this issue. However, itā€™s a pain to keep tweaking this every time!

Work around >
I am now using IFTTT to trigger any time based events for me. I have created a virtual switch that gets triggered at a particular time. The virtual switch in turn runs a routine using the rule engine. I know, itā€™s long-winded way to achieve a simple thingā€¦ But till the time, smartThings team fixes the reliability issue here, I will continue with this :smile: