Time based events failing?

I ran into this yesterday on several of my automations.
I reset all of them and everything is good now.

Yesterday, after the Hub update, I went through all SmartApps (using the IDE) to verify the next ā€œScheduled Jobsā€ and Iā€™ve found out that for around 30% of the SmartApps the next Schedule was still in the Past (Date/Time had already past).
Iā€™ve just Edited and Saved those specific SmartApps using the ST Android App and everything is working fine until now (fingers crossed).

During that process Iā€™ve also noticed something different - All ā€œLocalā€ SmartApps are not showing a ā€œScheduled Jobā€ anymore. If I had to guess it would be that this (the schedule) is being handled locally by the Hub now because all my Local SmartApps ran fine last night. Like I said itā€™s a guess. Letā€™s wait and see if someone at ST (@tslagle13 ) can shine a light on this :smile:

1 Like

I did the same thing and came up with about the same percentages as you.

I did notice that some of my items no longer showed a future scheduleā€¦ I didnā€™t put it together that those are my local appsā€¦

Thanks

So did the update happen at 10AM PST?

Newbie questionā€¦ How can you identify if a SmartApp is run ā€œlocalā€ or not? Is it just apps made by SmartThings?

Yes, itā€™s complete.

http://status.smartthings.com/incidents/hjchnbjhbjhp

Go here for locally running apps
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localInstalledSmartApp/list

Go here for locally running devices:
https://graph.api.smartthings.com/localDevice/list

As anyone had a chance to test timed based events? Did the update fix it?

half of mine still failed last night after the updateā€¦ lights did not turn off on timeā€¦

This is frustrating. Has anyone heard from support? I have a power allowance on a light that is working after the update, but was not working last night. So that is good. But other timed events donā€™t even show a schedule on the IDE when they should. Others show a past time schedule waiting to be executed. I canā€™t put my finger on it.

Sorry for the numerous posts. But it is looking good. I have some scheduled events that were showing the next schedule was in the past. Some that did not have the schedule. But I went through every time based smart app and just clicked done all the way through and that updated the IDE side of things and it looks like everything is scheduled to run. We will see tonight when I get home to a dark house or a lit house.

Thanksā€¦

I take it there isnā€™t a way to make your own SmartApps and Devices ā€œlocal.ā€ Mine are designed that way (they make calls to a local REST interface on a private IP), but I canā€™t seem to find anyway to indicate they are ā€œlocalā€ to ST. :confused:

Unfortunately not. Local apps are actually part of the firmware, not sure why that decision was made. Hub 2.0 was supposed to allow more apps to run locally but currently only Smart Lighting runs locally. Even with that all of your devices that run within Smart Lighting must also be able to run locally, no custom device types.

Check out the Wiki page to get up to speed on various aspects of the platform.
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=FAQ

2 Likes

Since the update this afternoon 1PM EST (database change) timed events appeared to improve greatly, at this time I have only had one failure, which is a lot better than the total failure being experienced for many weeks past.
Did it fix the problem? Probably not because the issue is most likely caused by server load. Once people pile on the platform I fully expect the issue to rear itā€™s ugly head again.

All of my Sunset/Sunrise events are still failing. They have not worked Since Monday morning.

My Sunset routines turned on for the most part. One of them did not. But I did go through all my routines and smartapps and clicked done, done, done to save them again. Looking at the IDE on the web portal earlier and they did not have a schedule associated with them until I went through all of them again to save. Hopefully it stays this way. FYI, running on a V1 hub if it matters.

Well after all the system changes in the last 24 hours, my system is more unstable and broken than ever. No routines are working and my hub is offline, not due to my Internet connection. Truly screwed by crappy Smartthings staff. Absolutely amazing to me the level of incompetence.

Good Night failed.
Good Morning worked.
Tasker Issued ā€œIā€™m Backā€ not recognized.
Tasker issued ā€œGood Nightā€ not recognized.
Tasker issued ā€œLamps Offā€ worked at 10pm.
ARGH!

1 Like

Just a guess, but I think these are all related.

This:

and:

and:

One of my home routines failed to open garage door. I rebuilt itā€¦ will see.