Support of OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave / Z-Wave Plus devices

Not that there aren’t other more pressing problems, but is there any news on this being rolled out?

In the new app, the question about OTA updates doesn’t specify Zigbee, so I’m wondering if maybe…

4 Likes

Dang, I just realized that after all these years as a ST user that my zwave devices weren’t getting firmware updates! I checked into some of my devices and there are updates available that fix the problems I have with them. To my surprise, I find out what is involved. Come on Samsung, this can’t be that hard.

3 Likes

Bumping this thread and hoping that someone has an update! :slight_smile:

@Benji: any word from your sources?

1 Like

For a variety of reasons, this may be my push to get an alternative hub and run both (the local one will do heavy lifting, while the ST will do all the cloud-only junk).

The Z-stick+ may be cheap in the US, but with the border closed, shipping and taxes/duties/brokerage make it less cheap for non-Americans. I can get it from a Canadian vendor… for triple the US price. That makes the alternative hub, even at the full Canadian list price, worth considering because it will do so much more while only costing about $75 Canadian more than the Z-stick+. I’ll wait to see if there’s a BF price on the Hub then pull the trigger either way.

I don’t think Samsung could find a lower branch on the priority tree than this; I’ve seen entire new platforms run though alpha/beta/RC in less time than this one utility seems to be taking.

As I understand it, a full upgrade to the Z-Wave stack was needed before they could even start the OTA update functionality, the Z-Wave stack got updated recently I believe.

Unfortunately not :frowning:

Not sure if this will help, but check this out:
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/spooky-sale-2020/

It’s the trigger I needed to begin my journey to the other side.

Yep. Sad, isn’t it? A textbook case of how not to manage software development, and how to alienate your power users in the process. But reality is that we’re a small fraction of the user base and insignificant as far as ST’s management goes.

1 Like

Three years and this thread is still open. I’m still shocked that they provide no way to update firmware on Z-Wave devices (among other things.) I don’t expect that they ever will since they don’t sell any Z-Wave devices. I’ve stopped investing time and money in this system for now. We we will see what happens over time.

3 Likes

IT"S HAPPENING!!!

7 Likes

Well this is pretty exciting to see. Let’s hope it makes it way into production and that they add additional firmware. It would greatly enhance the value of the SmartThings eco system from my point of view. I’ve been very hesitant to expand my use of SmartThings give all of the recent changes and lack of stability experienced in the last 6 months. Perhaps this will change my perspective on the long term viability of the platform.

1 Like

I have zero doubt on both fronts though I would expect some issues with the initial firmware, once they get some stability I have no doubt they’ll be adding a whole lot of Z-Wave firmware updates, my AEON bulbs are ready and waiting!

1 Like

Awesome news, I’m shocked!

I hope Jasco joins the program once everything is ironed out and all of my switches can be upgraded to the same functionality…dreams!

2 Likes

Too right, they need to fix a couple of big annoying issues with their 127xx line!

I second that!!!

Hope to hear from many more in the same situation, need a solution, FW OTA!

Any updates when ota zwave firmware updates be available?

5 Likes

a year later and still nothing? what’s going on here??

1 Like

A year? I started this thread 4 years ago. For a while it looked like this might happen, but now they are focused on “Edge” or whatever.

4 Likes

Bumping this question for automatic ST updates AND question regarding the SmartStick+. I had issues to connect and load the devices from ST. It seems to start correctly but the list is empty. Anyone had similar problem and solved it?

Initializing Z-Wave interface Z-Wave Interface  (Generic Serial Controller) on COM4
Getting node information from controller...
: Controller firmware version: 7.15
: Z-Wave Serial API version: 9
: Z-Wave interface node ID: 1, Home ID: {removed}
: Found 1 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 1 (Z-Wave Interface )
Z-Wave PC Controller Library Version: Z-Wave 7.15 (Unknown)
Initialization Done.
Init Done.
Starting Add/Remove process, please wait...
Device sync complete.
Done with Add/Remove process
Starting Add/Remove process, please wait...
A Z-Wave interface on the system is being restarted...hold on...
: Z-Wave interface node ID: 73, Home ID: {removed}
: Found 55 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 73 (Z-Wave Interface )
: Z-Wave interface node ID: 73, Home ID: DEF4851D
: Found 55 Z-Wave nodes in interface node ID 73 (Z-Wave Interface )
Getting Z-Wave node list for network DEF4851D...
Found 55 Z-Wave nodes
Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
Device synchronization needs to get Z-Wave class information for 54 nodes.
Getting class information for node 1...
Getting class information for node 2...
Cannot reach node 2, will not import any information about this node.
Getting class information for node 3...
Cannot reach node 3, will not import any information about this node.
Getting class information for node 4...

Was looking for a way to check and see if my z-wave devices (Aeotec, Zooz, GE & Innoveli) are running the most current firmware. As many of them are 2-3 years old I think they might not be current. I search the forum but didn’t find anything available through the ST hub. I came across this posting using a Zooz USB stick and some software. It says it was updated in Feb 2023 although two of the comments were from 2020.

Has anyone used this method? Is there a better way to check and update my devices firmware?

1 Like

There are at least half a dozen existing topics on this subject, so I have moved your post to one of those. Although some of the posts are old, the method is still the same. And as you can see from the 200 comments in this post, quite a few people have used the method :sunglasses:

So go back up to post 45 in this thread, and read what’s already there. Basically, you’ll need to get third-party software, because smartthings does not provide the option to do over the air Z wave updates.

Support of OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave / Z-Wave Plus devices - #45 by JDRoberts

edited to add that I was wrong about the following, @h0ckeysk8er has the alternative method below.

If you just want to find out what the current firmware level is, I think you can see that with the community created API browser plus webpage:

No, the API Browser+ does not show Z-Wave firmware versions. You can, however, install the Z-Wave Explorer from @philh30 that exposes Z-Wave information not generally found in other drivers for normal use. I loaded it for one of my GE Dimmer Switches and it does show the firmware version. Just a note, if the device is used in a Routine, it will be deleted from that Routine since the Explorer driver doesn’t have all the capabilities and presentations defined like in the device specific drivers.

1 Like