Support of OTA firmware updates for Z-Wave / Z-Wave Plus devices

I have been able to update my Inovelli switches, but I haven’t had any luck updating GE switches, it just won’t initiate using the same process.

Any of you guys have a method for the GE switches?

Model of the GE switches?

Where did you get the update files for them?

Which secondary controller/update software are you using?

Security level of the switches?

Specifically zwave pc controller is known to have difficulty updating devices that are set at the highest level of S2 security, so you may need to download the security for long enough to update the firmware. :thinking:

I have not had that experience. All my devices are paired with S2 if they support it, and I have updated firmware on lots of them with PC Controller.

As long as the USB stick is paired at S2 as the secondary controller, it works fine. It is slower to update of course. I’ve done Zooz, Inovelli, Leviton and Jasco devices this way.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! That makes sense.

I wonder if the issue has been some people using older USB sticks that don’t support S2. :thinking:

I am using the files that Jasco provided on their GitHub repo.

The switches are not under S2, they were initially onboarded without the additional security. And S2 has not prevented me from updating Inovelli switches.

I am using Z-Wave PC Controller (latest) version and basically following this tutorial but it’s not working for Jasco switches, the update command just hangs:

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/how-to-update-device-firmware-z-wave-smartthings-secondary-controller-method

@Skates
I was able to update a JASCO switch from 5.53 to 5.54 using the process in your link. It took awhile but completed without issue. I have one other JASCO switch to do and 4 JASCO dimmers but from what I can tell in the github they are already at the latest firmware. I’m hesitant to load their BETA 0.54

Make sure you look at the ZW code printed on the faceplate of your device and identify the correct file for firmware update.

Mine are the switch ZW4008 #46201 and dimmer - ZW3005 #14294

Good luck

RedTx: did you receive a status update on how far the update has progressed? When I click update, nothing seems to happen.

Mine is stuck here for all Jasco switches:

It completes with the following message:

Is there a trick to getting these switches updated?

I could see the packet sent status in the PcController interface just like any other z-wave device firmware update. Note that the process took 40+ minutes (I realized after that the NODE id in PcController are in DEC while the node ID in the ST api are in HEX, so I ended up updating the switch in my shed which is 50 feet from the laptop with the Z-Stick).

If you get the NODE ID from IDE or the API tool that TAustin wrote it is in HEX (for example Node 14 means 20 in DEC which is what the nodes are in PC Controller)

My 2nd GE Switch the firmware update took about 7 minutes to complete.

1 Like

Were you able to get past this point? I’m experiencing the same thing.

Of the seven GE/Jasco devices I have at this location–four fan controllers & three dimmer switches–four (the fan controllers) appear to be field upgradable and are already at the supposed released firmware level. The three dimmer switches do not appear to have firmware files available, so I haven’t pursued it any further.

Just be sure your switch a) has a released firmware file available and b) is, in fact, field upgradable. As I’m sure you already know, attempting to flash firmware to a switch that doesn’t support OTA upgrades will fail and using the wrong firmware file can potentially brick the device.

Let us know if you make any progress…

1 Like