[ST Edge] Is it possible to upgrade device's firmware using OTA?

Some companies like Ikea release their firmware online so everyone can download it (like the list of files here: http://fw.ota.homesmart.ikea.net/feed/version_info.json). I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the device using OTA by either embedding the binary file in Edge driver or point directly to the URL.

I’ve seen the firmwareUpdate capability with command updateFirmware and also some OTA cluster related structures in Edge API (st.zigbee.zcl.clusters.OTAUpgrade).

Is it possible to upgrade the device’s firmware using the Edge driver?

2 Likes

Hi, @hmorsti.
I discussed this situation with the engineering team and they mention the following:

• The OTA firmware update is handled only by the Hub. This means the device firmware cannot be packaged with the Edge driver so users can install it, etc.
  • They suggest you include the capability firmwareUpdate which helps you provide important information, such as the current version, whether or not an update is available, and the ability to trigger the update but all the implementation of that capability is in the Hub.

As we are still in the beta phase of the Edge drivers, these kinds of processes (OTA update, certification, etc.) are not defined yet but stay tuned for the Announcements and the newsletter (subscribe at the bottom).