SONOS not working as before

I’m having the same problem as the as @Elin_Englund. After the update the only controls I have with Sonos when creating a scene is volume level and mute.

I started by manually upgrading each Sonos speaker for option 2 on the email and selecting LAN Sonos Player Websocket. This updated each speaker and gave me data and the features in the app under devices but only gave me the two options in a scene when controlling them.

I then tried deleting all of the Sonos speakers and then re-adding them. Same problem under the app I’m only able to control volume level / mute.

Any help resolving this issue would be much appreciated. Thank you,

Nope. I bought it specifically for smartthings. I’ve got 2 bose soundtouch that I like better for inside. Bose speakers for outside. And also a 5.1 system inside as well if I want to really go crazy with music.

I got the Sonos because it was one of the few speakers I could use to create custom sounds for smartthings back in the day. It’s a good speaker but I prefer the bose system.

One thing for sure is if they can’t fix this, I will be visiting Craigslist soon to sale the speaker.

Thanks,

Tim

Fair enough.

I really don’t get the obsession people have with Sonos. They are OK speakers and I regret spending over a grand on a Sonos Playbar based surround sound system that does not support common digital audio formats. Yes, I listen to music on my Sonos system, but I purchased six additional speakers after verifying on the first one that the SmartThings integration was solid. This was also a joint announcement from SmartThings AND Sonos so they are both responsible for dropping the ball on this. The bottom line is this “upgrade” broke the playTrack function. You may dislike how I use my equipment but in my opinion it is unacceptable for two companies with so many resources to fuck up like this, and yes if they don’t fix the issue I will replace the Sonos speakers with another solution.

Not at all. Your choice.

1 Like

Is this in the new app? I’m seeing many more options during scene creation with an unofficial Echo integration, so I would be surprised if an official integration has less options.

Here’s what shows up during Scene creation after selecting a Sonos device on the new websocket handler:

Custom Automations expose the same actions. STHM allows you to use the Sonos under Notify Members for TTS (though TTS methods seem to be missing from the device handler itself)

1 Like

wow, can’t even play or pause via a scene or automation?! Maybe capability Audio Notifications is the new TTS capability?

Has any of you read the documentation of the new capabilities?

https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#audio-notification

Everything which was in the musicPlayer has been moved to different capabilities. It is not backward compatible with the old one, but the features are there. You need to change you SmartApps to match the new capabilities.

Audio Notification
Play a track or a message as an audio notification

Definition
# reviewed 2018-01-03
name: Audio Notification
attributes: {
  }
commands:
  playTrack:
    arguments:
    - name: uri
      required: true
      schema:
        $ref: URI
      type: STRING
    - name: level
      schema:
        $ref: IntegerPercent
      type: NUMBER
      required: false
  playTrackAndResume:
    arguments:
      schema:
      schema:
        type: integer
        minimum: 0
        maximum: 100
  playTrackAndRestore:
    arguments:
      schema:
      schema:
        type: integer
        minimum: 0
        maximum: 100
public: true
id: audioNotification
ocfResourceType: x.com.st.audionotification
version: 1

@BarryA, could you please provide some details how the commands should be used? And what are the differences between the different commands?

1 Like

To those experiencing problems with playing audio notifications via Sonos after the new change.

I received an email after the fact announcing the new Sonos integration. One of the headline changes is supposed to be improved notifications as below.

Together, Sonos and SmartThings are launching a new and improved integration that includes audio notification improvements, and more!

So, whilst the old method currently seems broken there should be a new ‘improved’ method. At least the capability will be there and it also seems Smartthings recognise it has been a very widely used feature. Indeed it is in the list @BarryA kindly provided. We just need to work out how to utilise it as part of work flows.

Indeed, it is there. And probably the context is quite similar. Please excuse me, I haven’t used the old one.

The press release seems to have a bit more information: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190917005052/en/SmartThings-Announces-Integrations-Sonos-Bring-Great-Sound

The first milestone of this partnership delivers new features in the SmartThings app that offer convenience and delight to the companies’ joint customers. SmartThings users can now easily discover and add Sonos One, Amp, Beam, or Play:5 (Gen 2) to their SmartThings ecosystem, giving them the ability to seamlessly control speakers through the SmartThings app and add speakers to home automations. Users will have access to features in the app including:

• The ability to play, pause, skip tracks, and control volume on Sonos speakers
  • Artist and track information, album art, and access to Sonos favorites
  • The ability to enable sound notifications on Sonos speakers and add Sonos to home automations, like starting or stopping music as you enter or leave the house
  • A direct connection between SmartThings and Sonos devices for faster control of music

Particularly interested about the “Album Art” aspect. - Anyone know how that’s accessible? I’d love to surface it to my ActionTiles Dashboard.

I think you are looking for the Audio Track Data. To access Sonos favorites that should be Media Presets. Look at the data in the IDE when playing something from Spotify. There might be some information what is the track data.

1 Like

You’re spot on! - Found it on the device in the IDE:

audioTrackData:

{ “title”: “free (at ease)”, “artist”: “fantompower”, “album”: “free (at ease)”, “albumArtUrl”: “https://i.scdn.co/image/723583a6dfe81657ee422c4141a569cc34743545”, “mediaSource”: “Spotify” }

Thanks for the heads up!

This is just to show that discipline has not trickled down to every unit that is working on developing the Samsung-SmartThings platform, or maybe just shows that development is fractured more than ever was. If you use the first method in their release note (to remove and add a speaker from the new app) then it breaks the Classic app. If you use the second method, then the speaker is not even seen by the new app. If method 1 is used, then you only get two of the new capabilities, the mute and volume, as you show in your picture. This is disappointing, but the fact that TTS message comes through fast, the resume function actually works and the new DTH is local, is a step forward. Something never changes! One step forward, two steps backwards is still their motto!!!

1 Like

I’ve still been using the classic app.I got the email and followed the 2nd method to change the device type to LAN Sonos Player Websocket . All seemed OK.

Today I thought I would be more adventurous. I noticed the automation I was using to switch on the speaker was no longer in the list and there is newer one now called Speaker Companion so I remade using this automation . But when I looked online I could see this was showing Execution Cloud - I was expecting Local

So I started the new app. First it showed the hub offline. When I tried to remove and re-add the speaker it wouldnt let me as it needs a hub. This I fixed by rebooting the hub. Then I added the speaker and it stuck at 60% for ages until finally adding the Sonos

I then tried to use this app to add Speaker Companion automations. All seemed the same as Classic app except when I came to the fields for allowed time interval - this is bugged on the new app and does not allow a Start Time to be entered (OK on Classic).

In any case the automation still shows as Cloud Execution

Was any of this tested?

…and Ive gone back the classic app.

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t understand what do you mean by breaking the Classic app, and not even seen by the new app.

I have set up a Sonos/IKEA Symfonisk a few days ago by just using the Classic app. I’ve chose to add a new device. It just showed up as it was on the same network. It has been added to the Classic app. Then when I opened the new app, it asked me to assign a room, as it needs a room for any device. It is visible and working from both app without any problem.
And what you mean by the scheme setup, that might be just an intermediate solution. Send an email to support and ask for being able to play, pause or stop. Through SmartApp you can do far more than that, just need to make the new capabilities in good use.

People here seems to be never heard about “non backward compatible” updates. I think it is like the new weather API issue was. It has been released without a proper documentation, and people don’t understand the way how is it working. Many SmartApps need to be updated to handle the new feature. That is how development works. It is like Python 3 and Python 2. New features, but not everything compatible.

I think, that is normal. The SmartApp would be cloud executed.

Perhaps that most detrimental side effect to many of us here in the community, is that the text to speech engine appears to no longer work: textToSpeech(phrase instanceof List ? phrase[0] : phrase) gets you this beauty:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toLowerCase() on null object @line xxx

Also before the Sonos device appeared as a switch via Smartthings to Alexa that you could turn off and on and took the Smartthings device name. Now that has disappeared and is controllable from Alexa only via the Sonos skill.