Smoke detector - What are my best options? (UK)

Hi
So I’m looking to buy 2-3 smoke detectors for my house.

I have already AEON multisensors and plugs, so I could from that consider AEON’s smoke detector also.

I would like to hear what are your suggestions for the best and reliable smoke detector for SmartThings?

And if you have any experience for the Aeon Smoke detector (I will also look in the thread for that device)

Thanks in advance for helping to get the right detector :slight_smile:

Are you in the US or the UK? The device selection is different. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m using a Fibaro Smoke detector

Which is only available in the EU. Not in the US. Again, the device selection is different in different regions. :sunglasses:

The smoke alert audio pattern is different in different parts of the world, and is mandated by law. In fact, the laws regarding smoke detectors are among the most strict for any inexpensive devices.

For this reason, it’s very rare to find a smoke detector which is manufactured for both The US and the EU.

I’m in Eu and i thought i had seen a aeon smoke sensor, but since i cannot Find it now, i guess i remembered incorrectly

No Aeotec Smoke Sensor has been certified for the EU.

The only one I’ve heard of people using with SmartThings in the U.K. Is the Fibaro, although I would think the Everspring, which is a very basic model, would probably also work.

For any of the other zwave sensors, it might require custom code.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/Search/Index?regionId=1&searchText=smoke&page=1

Another alternative is to get the nest protect and use their IFTTT channel/service to trigger smartthings events. This is simple and straightforward, but does require that the Wi-Fi be working and then maybe a small lag.

I bought one of these because it was cheap. (The Nest looks so much nicer, but I didn’t want to spend the money at the time.) Functionally it is fine. The battery is now at 93% after a little over 3 months.

I think you ca get them there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/First-Alert-Z-Wave-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B00KMHXFAI

There’s probably something better though.

You can buy the first alert zcombo in the UK from some third-party sellers, but unfortunately it will not work with the UK SmartThings hub. :disappointed_relieved: It’s only made on the US Z wave frequency.

The UK frequency starts with an eight. The US frequency starts with a nine.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org

When buying Z wave devices, always make sure that it operates on exactly the same frequency as your hub, or they will not be able to talk to each other. The frequency cannot be changed after the time of manufacture, so you have to make sure you’re getting the right one.

Thanks all for all your input.

Looks like I will go with the Fibaro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a UK version of the First Alert 2-in-1 Z-Wave Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm (ZCOMBO). I’m looking for smoke and CO detectors and a combined unit would be nice.

I have asked First alert Europe tech support. THis is what they said :

"
The First Alert SCO5 Combination alarm with WiFi connectivity is not officially available in the European Market. We hope to have this alarm and the Onelink products released sometime this year or early 2020.

To my knowledge, we have not tried compatibility of this product with different branded products. That being said, following a research online, I came across Samsung website that features First Alert SCO5 alarm unit. The following link might be of interest to you.

At the moment, I am unable to confirm the successful pairing of the same with Samsung products.
"

Oh one question.

Can anyone confirm that AEotec and Fibaro smoke detectors work directly with the Smartthings hub, ie without the need to purchase any other pieces of equipement (suvh as a fibaro / aeotec base station or hub…)?

Thanks !

Fibaro smoke detectors works direclty with ST hub. So no need to buy Fibaro’s own gateway or anything else. Aeotec smoke sensors I do not have but sirens I have and they work as well directly with ST hub. I’m guessing it’s same thing with smoke detectors.