SmartThings Sensors Constantly Going Offline And Not Sensing Activations

Hi all,
I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section. I have a SmartThings V2 Hub and several devices connected to it including the SmartThings Motion Sensors and Door sensors which up until a few days ago were working fine with the occasional offline moment which I would normally address by taking the battery out and putting it back in then the device would be online again no issues but recently my sensors are either offline when the Hub is online so I try the battery removal to no avail or I reboot the Hub by removing the power and turning it back on a bit later. Nothing seems to work. I have deleted the sensors and added them back for them to work a short while then offline again. The batteries are between 80 and 100% as I changed those but still having this issue. I am wondering if SmartThings has updated something and broken it? Thanks in advance of any replies.

what is the firmware version of your hub?

do report the issue to ST support and send logs. Tap on Menu and select Contact us.

Hi,

The firmware shows 000.052.00021 and I have reported the issue. I am aware SmartThings have done an upgrade on the 20th which is still showing ‘In Progress’ so maybe this could be to do with that?

The update has not happened for your hub yet. The upgrade period started on the 20th and runs until July 1st. The latest version is 53.19.
You may want to keep a lookout for that version to be installed on your hub to see if it helps with your issue. Maybe ST support will respond with any info.

view the release notes in the following thread:

A further update. I purchased a brand new Aeotec Motion Sensor from Amazon last night and it arrived today which I have set up and that seemed to work but has now just stuck on saying motion detected even with the battery removed so it seems the issue is with the Hub in some way.

Is the hub near any networking equipment? Is it centrally located in your house? Do you have a good zigbee mesh throughout your house with main powered repeaters such as lugs or switches?

1 Like

I only have the Hub V2 in my office which is near the router but it has been there for the past 5+ years so nothing has changed. This issue is even affecting my office door sensor, which is not working in the same room.

I still believe you should be patient and wait for the latest firmware to install on your hub. Others have had offline issues of various types so will interesting to find if the firmware fixes the issue for them.

1 Like

I am hoping the firmware will fix it as prior to the past few days I’ve not had any issues and nothing has changed in my home. It is annoying though as I have people in the house who complain when things don’t work but don’t comment when it is working fine. They are all used to lights automatically coming on when they enter a room and so on.

1 Like

A little update that everything is back working fine now but my hub hasn’t updated so no idea what caused such issues…

1 Like

Hi, @ChrisUK40
If the issue comes back, please let us know. When you see devices go offline, you need to submit the hub logs because they contain the logs related to such events providing info about what caused it so the engineering team can look at them.
Just curious, were those sensors only Z-Wave or Zigbee as well?

These are the steps to submit the Hub logs:

1. In the Advanced Users app, enter the “Hubs” section
  2. Enter the corresponding Hub and click on “Dump Hub logs”
  3. Confirm the process by clicking on “Dump Hub logs” again in the pop-up.
  4. You’ll get a green box at the top confirming the Hub logs were requested.

Hi nayelz,

I am using SmartThing Motion Sensors and SmartThings Door Sensors with this issue happening to both. The motion sensor is the second generation I believe M/NIM6001-MTP02 also I purchased a brand new Aeotec version just in case it was the sensor at fault but sadly the same thing is happening with that sensor. The door sensor are the M/N STS-MLT-251 which says it is ZigBee. I thought the issue was fixed recently as everything was back working but once again the issue is back as of last night. Sensors are showing online and as if motion has been detected and they are stuck in that state even when I remove the battery for ages. I am also having other sensors act as if nothing is happening such as door not being opened it is showing closed regardless of opening or closing the door or a motion sensor not detecting anything. I often unplug the Hub for a long time and then power it up again in the hope this will fix it but it doesn’t seem to be making any difference. My Hub also still hasn’t had the latest update yet.

I have just done the dump hub logs also but not sure what that does? Upon checking that site it would appear the issue issue ZigBee devices.

oh ok, for this issue of devices being unresponsive, we need the following information:

1. Are many devices having the same issue or only a few?
    a. This is to select a few of them and get their info
  2. When you try to trigger an event like motion or open/close, we need to see if they are getting received by the driver and processed correctly, so:
  1. Enter the Advanced Users app > devices, find the faulty device, and check which driver it uses, which will appear on its details
  2. Set up the CLI on your PC. Here are the instructions.
  3. Run this command: smartthings edge:drivers:logcat. Then, select the hub and driver you want the logs to print from.
  4. Trigger the events like motion or open/close. See if something is registered there, if so, copy those logs into a file and share it with us at build@smartthings.com
  1. Then, send the Hub logs right after that so the events triggered before are included. These are the instructions I shared before, this uploads a log file in the SmartThings server that the team can check.
  2. Take note of the time when you tried to trigger the events and share it with us including the timezone, for example: 14:00 GMT-6.
  3. Share with us the name of the devices you tested
  4. Open support access to your account so we can get their information to look for the events at the different services.
  1. Go to the SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and confirm - In this step, please select “Until turned off”, once the team finishes, we’ll let you know so you can disable it again.

Hi nayelyz,

I emailed logs previously an got a poor reply from SmartThings which I emailed back to and kept getting a return email saying the email can’t be delivered to SmartThings. I’m not really comfortable performing these advanced things.

Prior to about a week ago everything was working fine then suddenly things stopped triggering like there were supposed to and some device shown online but didn’t trigger or they were offline and removing the battery and putting it back in didn’t solve it. I also deleted devices and added them again. Then a few days ago suddenly everything was back working again and then last night they stopped again. Some of them are working and others aren’t. Some that weren’t working are now working again but others aren’t. I am hoping this is due to SmartThings playing with stuff behind the scenes for this new firmware update which was being rolled out from the 20th June but my Hub still hasn’t received it.

To add more weirdness to the mix my brand new Aeotec Motion sensor I have in my hallway is showing online but not detecting motion but is reporting temperature increases or decreases… I have also just checked my Hub firmware and it has now updated to 000.053.00019

ok, the complex thing is getting the driver logs, I can see if the team can check the issue only with the hub logs but still, I need a description of what’s failing and access to your account.
For example:

Once you open the support access to your account, you can tell me:

“The Aeotec Motion sensor called “My room sensor” is not reporting events, I tried to trigger a motion event at 14:00 GMT-6 and didn’t show up in the app, (if it has a light that indicates when a motion is detected, let us know if it blinked)”

Access to your account is required because I can get the device ID because, in the logs, we don’t see the device’s name but its ID.

Remember to submit the hub logs after you see the error (it’s suggested to do it so before 12 hours have passed since the issue because the logs get replaced over time with the new events, depending on how busy your network is). These logs are important because we’ll see if the device sends the event to the hub hence the need of an approximate time to look at the logs when the event was expected.
Also if the devices go offline, we need those logs and an approximate time because there will be a message saying why it went offline, for example: the device didn’t respond to a ping from the hub.