SmartThings/Samsung Account Migration Beta

Part of the migration script is manually creating a Samsung account if you don’t already have one created.

For anyone interested in participating in this beta program make sure you know the risks associated before migrating. I did not do my research and now regret participating. Losing the github connections to all saved repositories really sucks. Not only do you have to go back in and add each repo one by one (of course that’s if you can remember them all) but then you’ve gotta also go back into each custom smartapp and device handler and set the source options to their associated repository. I’d also lost my contact book at the same time. Even though I’ve got it back through a trick learned in the webCoRE community it’s not the same because they’re all messed up with some showing in some places and not in other places plus some not showing at all.

The github integration was never meant as a means of code distribution. It’s not going away tomorrow but I would not continue to depend on this as a method for keeping community apps up to date. Once we move to the new model this will be rendered unneeded.

2 Likes

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: I’m perplex for the new SmartThings / SamsungConnect thing

The original intent was that you would publish your code to SmartThings via your own github repo and then SmartThings would certify and distribute your app via the marketplace. GitHub is by its nature a collaborative coding platform and that was what the integration was supposed to facilitate. Being able to source smart apps from another person’s repo was a by product not the design.

So I’m going to ask the simple question for the majority of users and those concerned with the new “platform.” Will we lose all GitHub integrations eventually and be forced to host code ourselves? Do you plan to make all custom apps, DTH, etc obsolete in their current form?

1 Like

Wink pulled some crap similar in the past… It was a good starter platform. That’s where I started…

Generic ZWave would usually work enough to get by. THEN things started to change… I’m guessing $$$$$$$$$ greed…

Multiple times devices that were not “Certified” would stop working out of the blue… calls to tech got the response “Well it’s not certified sooooooo… maybe in time… but you can buy THIS DEVICE that’ll do what you want and IS certified”

I made my departure soon after… It seems I am one of MANY that did the same.

Hopefully ST realizes that alienating customers will lead to disaster… and simply open the door for a competitor to step up!

ST should consider ways to ENHANCE not take away!

Any idea when the accounts merge will be available for everyone and mainly when we will get control back of our Samsung TVs?

4 Likes

Just as soon as I get back my youtube app on my 2013 Samsung “Smart” TV. Terrible company.

1 Like

Well, connect is now smartthings and most my devices still don’t work in there. I reported the bug in centercode. Any other ideas to get it working?

I am in a similar boat and not sure what to do.

Half of my devices don’t even show up in connect and of the ones that do about half actually work.

The app is completely useless to me now

Can you clarify what devices do not show up or work? Just wondering how the migration will affect my setup.

It sounds like we are all about to migrate in some sense…

We’re delighted to announce that a new SmartThings app is coming.
The SmartThings app you’ve been using has been renamed “SmartThings Classic” in the app store.
For now you don’t need to do anything, please continue to use this app as usual.
We’ll notify you as soon as the new SmartThings app is ready to transition with next steps.

I wonder if using to new app requires you to migrate to a samsung account

The reviews concerning the automation (SmartThings) part of the new app are scary bad. The screen shots do not show much but show enough that I think my WAF is going to plummet. I hope they don’t deprecate the existing app anytime soon.

1 Like

yeah from what I have seen it just looks like the samsung connect app with “smartthings” logo slapped on it

If it makes you guys feel better, all my automations transferred over. Thought for sure they would be messed up, they’re there. Even core stuff.

2 Likes

Only about one tenth of my devices show as available (even though they are all listed) in the new ‘Smartthings’ app and half of these do not open etc. This is all extremely worrying tbh, on top of this my original Android app now takes about 10 tries to load up the device list (iOS is better). I understand that things need to move on and progress however I actually see all this as a complete step backwards unfortunately and I can see myself jumping ship soon.

1 Like

Same here, only 1/4 of my devices actually work. Basically anything with a custom device handler says “can not connect” when selected. On top of that it is also very slow and clunky to get around. I’m biting my tong for ever complaining about the “classic” app… I also have two hubs showing up now and one is “offline”

1 Like

The email communication clearly said to keep using the SmartThings Classic app until the new one is brought up to parity. Not sure why it is surprising to see things not working in the new app.

5 Likes

It is not just about the new app, it is the whole direction that Samsung is heading with ST. It just does not look good for us (compared to what we have now) even though that may be a way off yet. Only time will tell of course but there have not been lots of reassurances in comparison to the planned changes…

1 Like