SmartThings Retail presence at Best Buy...not looking so good

I am agree with DAN P PARKER.

The Best Buys in Greenfield WI and Brookfield WI, both look the same way. I am in there like once a month because I window shop and dream about all of the cool tech I could have. Plus I need to fill my gaming addiction.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that specific store, but that’s very cool! It looks like they’re working with us or Samsung directly as that’s one of our official retail displays.

3 Likes

Since the OP specified “SoCal” I picked a location in Irvine, CA (for no reason other than the fact that I lived there for 2 years back in the '80s) and did the same review of stock for Best Buys in that area…with nearly identical results. Most stores were completely out of stock on the Hub, and while most had some Motion Sensors all said there were “fewer than 3 left in stock”. Ditto Water Leak Sensors.

1 Like

My local box stores have a similar handful of items. The number of hubs on the shelf isn’t bothersome to me, so much as the limited stock of devices such as switches, dimmers, and sensors. None of the Home Depots around me have any sensors. They have a very limited assortment of Leviton and Lutron dimmers/switches. If you need a three way application for a Leviton DZC dimmer or switch, the corresponding remote switch is nowhere to be found. For the Caseta devices, again the availability of accessories is terrible. If you need to wall mount a Caseta Pico you have to buy a whole new $22 Pico remote kit with wall plate, because the individual $6 wall mount is completely unavailable.

I know this isn’t a SmartThings issue, but the lack of device availability in stores can’t be helping consumer acceptance of this stuff. The only things the stores around me seem to stock is a few hubs, a handful of swtiches, dimmers and outlets, and some Nest and Ecobee thermostats. No motion or door sensors at any box store I’ve been to. I’ve had to order all of that off Amazon.

BTW… Both the Leviton DZC and Lutron Caseta are great to use (I have both), but the Leviton is vastly easier to operate in the dark. I don’t particularly feel the Lutron Caseta is worth the hype.

I think it is working in reverse as well, if mainstream were adopting faster they could justify carrying more stock. HA is still too early in the adoption curve IMO.

whitehall pa. (near allentown)

only one each of leak, multi, and motion.

This is what my local best buy has looked like since December.

I don’t see how this can be a good thing.

Regardless of how popular Oreos are at my local grocer, I move on to another brand if the shelf is empty.

3 Likes

The Annapolis, MD Best Buy had similarly empty shelves for the ST display when I was there a few weeks ago.

Another perspective - at my local Home Depot - things have improved recently, used to be somewhat neglected, appears to be getting more attention now…this is a much more interesting and compelling display.

4 Likes

That’s impressive.

I’m guessing this is Home Depot’s way of competing with Lowes Iris.

Target Open Home 2.0 Grand reopening in SF this weekend… I wonder if SmartThings will be better represented (for a while it wasn’t there at all…).