I’m a SmartThings Link for NVIDIA Shield user, and having just bought it three weeks ago, I’m still trying to understand whether it’s actually a full equivalent to the ST Hub v2.
Also, I am not yet convinced that Samsung / SmartThings will actually support the SmartThings Hub on NVIDIA solution at the same level or pace as with the standalone Hub v2 - in particular with regards to firmware updates.
Here’s the information I’ve gathered so far:
• The SmartThings Android app for NVIDIA Shield TV actually provides the ST Hub functionality, via ST’s Hubcore software. As the Shield doesn’t have ZigBee or Z-Wave radios, a SmartThings hub running on the Shield will only work with cloud / wi-fi controlled devices. (Source: NVIDIA SHIELD TV - SmartThings FAQ)
• The SmartThings Link adds ZigBee and Z-Wave compatibility to the ST hub on Shield TV solution. (Source: NVIDIA SHIELD TV - SmartThings FAQ)
• Apparently, the SmartThings Link is actually re-branded SmartThings Extend, a device that was intended to bring ST Hub functionality to Samsung smart TVs. However, the firmware is different, so you won’t be able to stick a ST Link into a Samsung TV and expect it to work. (Sources: Reddit (with photo) and this ST Community thread)
• Updates to a SmartThings hub on NVIDIA Shield TV appear to be a combination of NVIDIA Shield software updates and (probably) firmware updates for the SmartThings Link. When I log into ST IDE, my hub lists it’s firmware version as 17.112, but blank for hardware version. The latest version of Hubcore included with the most recent NVIDIA Shield TV is 17.112, so that seems to correspond, but I cannot find any information about the firmware version on the ST Link itself.
• SmartThings’ Support site currently lists the latest Hub v2 firmware version at 19.17, which was just released yesterday. There is no mention of the ST Hub for NVIDIA Shield TV or the ST Link on that page.
• On the Hub Firmware v19.17 Release Notes thread, I asked about an update for the ST Link, and the answer I got was this release is for Hub v2 only.
Since setting up my SmartThings hub running on my NVIDIA Shield TV with the ST Link, I’ve successfully added a bunch of ZigBee, Z-Wave, and web-based devices, some with custom ST Community-sourced DTH (device handlers) and Smart Apps, and have had relatively few issues.
However, with no news on the new v19.17 firmware coming to the ST hub on NVIDIA Shield TV, I’m worried that it and the ST Link will be relegated to a slower development cycle than that for the flagship standalone Hub v2. If true, I don’t want to waste any more time setting up my ST Hub on my NVIDIA Shield TV, and will need to consider whether to purchase a ST Hub and start all over, or go with another solution altogether.
So my questions:
Is the ST Hub running on NVIDIA Shield TV with ST Link an equivalent to the ST Hub v2? If not, what are we missing out on and what elements (DTHs, Smart Apps, etc.) won’t work properly?
Can anyone help with an official stance on development support for the Hubcore-based ST Hub on Shield TV with ST Link solution?
Also, when will we see a version 19.17 “firmware” update (if ever)?