SmartThings Downtime and What We're Doing

And just when I was starting to like you.

4 Likes

@ben, thanks for this update! As someone whoā€™s only been a customer for a few weeks I was beginning to get discouraged. Seeing that actions are being taken goes a long way towards staying patient. Hope the migration goes well!

Congratulations SmartThings Team!

If it remains stable today you should go out and have some fine cigars and a beverage of your choice. :wine_glass:

90+ devices running smooth this morning. Lights dimmed up and coffee was ready. Itā€™s gonna be a good SmartThings day! :smiley:

3 Likes

You know it!

EDIT: Things seems to be running at ā€œwarp speedā€ too!

WOW THE SMARTAPP IS FAST

Good work guys!

The update broke my entire system; though I donā€™t see how it could (so maybe itā€™s a coincidence). None of my devices are responding; despite the IDE log showing the commands completed.

1 Like

ā€œDamn it Jim, Iā€™m only an Evangelist!ā€

Seems weird, but have you tried turning it off and on again? (unplugging the hub for a minute or so)

Had the same issue this morning but a hub reboot fixed all of that. Not surprised after all that went down, but a simple fix.

Edit: Also, it only worked from the ā€œthingsā€ view for the first time on each ā€œthingā€. Iā€™m guessing my hub and the cloud had to get ā€œsyncedā€ with the status of my lights.

I have never been happier to see the fast spinning wheel. Way to go, guys! And now off to pick up my 3 smoke/co detectors and hook them up! @ben if you were a girl I would blow you a kiss! So, just a handshake will do.

See Ben, I told you people liked you. lol

1 Like

@Tim - A full 10 second power cycle did the trick. Reboot (from IDE) did not. Nor did a quick power cycle. Back up and running.
I too had to cycle each Thing to get my system synced.

1 Like

I want to say thank you for being up front and honest with your customers. Too often I see companies pandering to their customers with a lot of fancy marketing words that say nothing useful (and are sometimes dishonest). Although in an ideal world disruptions wouldnā€™t occur, I understand that during periods of fast growth it can be hard to prevent them.

As a relative newbie to ST, Iā€™ve started small with some automated lighting and presence monitoring. However, Iā€™m looking forward to expanding it further into my home in the future. Thanks again for the updates!

2 Likes

Good to hear!

Weehoo! Now if only there was a ā€œthingā€ i could cycle to help me remember the smart app idea i had before all this went down.

1 Like

In basic terms, they updated to a platform called cassandra. It was built by FB and is meant to be able to manage large amounts of captured data in databases. It does it quick and efficiently and allows for no single point of failure.

What can you take from that? Eseentially ALL THE THINGS need to break in order for the symptoms we have been having the last few days to happen. This is why Facebook is NEVER down. And why it doesnā€™t take 30 years tp pull up the 47 million data points you search for each time you do a search on FB.

In short. Fast, stable, little (if any) downtime.

2 Likes

Indeed! The initial fresh app load is still a tad slow, but faster! And loading the list of SmartApps for a given device is much faster! Congrats!

Iā€™m glad there is some information about this out here, but a little more of a heads up would have been good. My wife is questioning the platform altogether now as the alarm went off this morning after I left for work. The smart alarm app wouldnā€™t kick over to home mode even though the mode was changing to home. I think this was due to the fact that it happened while the outage was still going on. I was at work at about 7 am CST. I didnā€™t recieve notification until about 11:30 central time last night and I was already asleep. If we can get a day or two lead time it would be great as I would disarm the alarm for the night prior to any major work. I need to be able to insulate any problems from my wife.

None of my switches/outlets/locks are receiving commands from SmartApps or Mobile application, all of them appear to be reporting their status correctly when changed from a physical switch.

I havenā€™t been able to power cycle my hub, because I didnā€™t know I had to so iā€™ll have to wait and see if that will fix it when I get home. I have rebooted it several times, and still no joy on any of the Zwave switches working. They do work from the 2nd Zwave controllers though, luckily i have remotes set up for most of the lights.

A hard reboot will work :smile:

Excellent explanation. Thanks very much for that.

1 Like

Interesting regarding the alarm going off. Mine has gone off twice (the battery is not connected so itā€™s not related to a power outage). I have the alarm plugged into AC power, it is a Z-Wave device, but there is nothing yet set to trigger the alarm yet it went off twice.

I think thereā€™s a replacement on the way but am worried that this may not be a defective unit. Does anyone have an idea as to why the alarm goes off? Is it because ST goes offline and come back online?

Thanks for your help.

Chris C