Smartphone Presence Sensor not working in new V3 app

Thank you! I’ve been having issues with Nest app and, to a lesser degree, SmartThings getting false presence changes.

Both were set to optimize battery. Hoping this cleans things up!

1 Like

Out of curiosity what device network id did you use? Or where did you find the network ID of your phone to put into ide? Thank you in advance.

Mine is also shown as “placeholder” but I can’t change it to “mobile presence” because it warns me that a Network Device Id is required but the field is blank.

I tried disabling and re-enabling the “Get your location from this phone” toggle in the new app but it still didn’t assign a Network Device Id in on the IDE site.

My wife’s iPhone 11 seems to be working fine, and it shows up in the IDE as Mobile Presence with its own Network Device Id like normal.

I upgraded to the new app and now things are a mess… presence sensors don’t work, the “find your keys” beeper on the fob doesn’t work, my automations don’t work… it won’t let me go back… it won’t let me do the update over… Samsung hasn’t done their job testing this before release and multiple calls to Samsung support have been greeted with “gosh, it should work, sorry about your luck… pissed and looking for a replacement product at this point because I’ve got too much invested to put up with this hassle that was forced upon me…

2 Likes

Samsung your new app sucks compared to the old one! I cabby belive your changing from a great app that worked perfect to a new pretty app that dosent work! Some people need to be fired before smartthings goes out of business like wink is.

Thanks. So simple yet so hard to find.

On my Android 11 devices it’s now called “Get your location from this phone”

1 Like

uh yeah… that post was written back in dec 2019. things change :slight_smile:

connected services became linked services
help became contact us
and others that I have posted before things got updated

so I admit, all my old posts are out-dated and incorrect

I am guilty of all charges LOL

1 Like

Home Assistant works good once you learn the indents!

I am using my old iPhone X as an iPod and my location was messed up until I deleted STs from that phone which was connected to WiFi.

It’s frustrating to come to the forums looking for an answer to this presence sensor issue (again) and seeing that there is still no resolution. I tried so many things and also cannot get it working in the new app. It is frustrating that making this work wasn’t a top priority. So much relies on it. If there is a new solution that works that I have missed, please share!

Whats wrong with your presence sensor? The resolution depends on what kind of problem you have.

1 Like

I use my phone and my husband uses his phone as a presence sensor. It doesn’t recognize when either of us come or go, so we cannot use it for any automations like for arming it or disarming it as we come and go. What is the fix?

For me, using android, the solution was to change the settings to work in background and always on. For some reason thats not the standard configuration.

Unfortunately, many people have reported this issue, and it has changed quite a bit as well, starting to work for some people and then not working for others.

@jkp may be up-to-date on what the current status is.

What phone and operating system are you using? There does seem to be a difference in this as well. :thinking:

As it turns out, I noticed that it is recognizing my iPhone X and it started doing that on 3/10. I looked through the history under my phone and I just see activity since then. I had not been noticing because several things I had turned off because of the issues. I have no idea what triggered it to suddenly start working, but if mine is working, that it is great. I just need it to work for my husbands now to get everything back to functioning right. He does have a pretty old phone 5 that we will be replacing when the iphone 13 series comes out in 6ish months. It needs to be easy to add that to our system. But why can’t we get this one to work? I have an automation set up to turn off his phone for presence when he leaves and then turn it on when he comes home. When I look at his device though, it just never correctly recognizes it. There is zero history for his device. Maybe I just need to delete his phone and add it AGAIN? I need to hunt for the latest tutorial on setting up a phone for presence. Argh.

That makes sense. I’m pretty sure it’s set up that way on both phones, but I’ll double check his phone when he gets home.

I have a galaxy S20, and presence worked perfectly until a few weeks ago at which point it just flat out stopped. After poking around I found the issue, at some point I had done an optimize and smartthings got put to sleep, which prevented updates. The fix was to remove it from sleeping app list (search for sleep in control panel, go to sleeping and deep sleeping, and if smartthings is there hit remove in the menu and remove it). Once I did that all was back to being good.

1 Like