Phone as a presence sensor has stopped working

My phone use to work great most of the time as a sensor to open/close my garage door. About three weeks ago it flat stopped. In the past with the old app I could log off on the phone app and then log back on and it would work. Now when I try to log off I get a warning that the app will be removed from the phone and a loss of data.

Any idea how to get my phone to work again as a sensor?

What’s the operating system on the phone? iOS? Android? What level?

Also, what level is the smartthings app on that phone?

Android.

Not sure what “level” ST means.

Version level of the SmartThings app.

1.7.67.29 even that took a while to find.

1 Like

Does anyone have any idea oh how to reset this? My wife’s phone is working as a presence sensor. So I guess ST has lost the ability to update from my phone. I have rebooted the phone multiple times. I have rebooted the hub multiple times. The only thing I can figure that use to work is logging out of ST on my phone, but now when I try that it states it will remove ST entirely from the phone!!

First thing to check… login to IDE, go to the Devices section and see if the device type for your phone presence is placeholder or mobile presence. It should be placeholder at this point. If it is showing as mobile presence… skip to possible solution at bottom of this post.

If it does show as placeholder… check one more spot also in IDE > Locations > devices and look for any presence sensors and ensure they are listed as placeholder. Same situation… skip below for possible solution.

Possible solution:
If device type shows as mobile presence there are a few extra steps to jump through and it will not be a fun process to go through. Take screenshots,i if needed, of any automations you have that are using presence sensors. Delete any automations using presence on your phone. Turn off get location from your non-working phone in menu > settings in the ST app… no need to do this on your wife’s phone which is working. Logout of the ST app. Login to IDE and check that any presence sensors for your phone have been removed in both the devices section and in Locations > devices. Sign back in to the ST app, enable get location for this phone in menu > settings. Recreate your automations and test.

If device type shows as placeholder… basically the same steps except there is probably no need to check IDE for any lingering presence sensors.

Not a fun process and no guarantee that is will resolve the presence not working on your phone but worth a shot. I saw a post where someone went through a few extra steps but not sure if those were needed but you never know.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give this a shot.

Revert back to the previous version of ST app

I did… Presence works fine.
Just turn off auto update on your app