Smarthings Outlet. Fire Hazard

I have removed the plugs and then re-joined them into the system and the power metering now works and updates every minute or so as above!

All very strange as I am using the same device handler as before.

Anyway - I’m very happy with these plugs now.

I had an issue with my plug sparking and smoke coming out of it then stopped working. Didn’t want to risk it so binned it and never bought another.

Mine was fizzing

Just use it as a repeater now

hi, im having simialr issues with the power metering. its frustrating as thats one thing the smartthings plug was good at. 1 minute reporting is too slow for what I’m using it for.

anyone out there know how to mod the device handler to increase the reporting frequency?

I’ve got one of these (came with the starter kit) and plugged into the wall. Into it is plugged a normal non-sheathed double plug. I’ve got an LED floor lamp and my Echo Dot plugged into it.

After reading this post I’m not over confident with the fire protection of the ST plug. Can anyone recommend a similar one - I see the Heiman one but I’ve very reluctant to buy from eBay due to fakes.

Any other suggestions (not sure if I need power monitoring).

Do Z-Wave products work easily with ST?

Rich

I’ve just checked the Amazon website for the ST plug. It’s listed as Unavailable and not sure if or when it will come back into stock.

I suspect something is wrong there.

I’ve placed an order for the Heiman one despite being a bit scared of eBay!

I’m sure you be fine. They seem like very well made plugs.

Wow. I came searching for why the smartthings outlets have been out of stock everywhere for about a month and found this thread. It’s pretty clear that smartthings have ceased production of them but are stopping short of issuing a recall, hence the silence from them.

In light of this, can anyone recommend what are the best repeaters to use and also what are the best smart outlets to use here in the UK?

Do any of them report on the current ampage being drawn?

I use quite a few of the Foxx Project smartplugs (they do show wattage etc)
But they are z-wave so don’t repeat zigbee only z-wave

1 Like

That’s useful. I’ll check them out. Thanks. Are there any zigbee repeaters you’d recommend?

Ha!
I use a couple of burnt out smartthings sockets with nothing plugged in - they still repeat.

Don’t know of any reliable UK zigbee repeaters

As mentioned above, I would recommend the Heiman plugs.
Good price, well made and has power metering.

1 Like

Following advice on here I bought one Heiman plug (so far). Had it installed for a couple of days now, no issues and I’m getting power readings from it.

Another observation on the ST plugs. I have cats, 6 to be precise (I know, it’s a lot of cats). They all eat like it’s gone out of fashion and two of the little swines need special food (Illness). We bought chip reading food bowls for them - they only open when the correct cat puts it’s head by the lid.

I plugged my ST plug in a socket close to those bowls (for a standard lamp). We noticed that the bowls kept losing the chip and staying open. Trace (my wife) figured it was the ST plug and moved it - hey presto, no issues.

I’ve had the new Heiman plug plugged into the wall by those same cat bowls. Absolutely zero issues so far with it messing up the chip programming.

1 Like

Hope someone here can help me with an issue with the Heiman plugs (UK version)?

I bought two, one pairs with ST Hub v2, one doesn’t.

The one that pairs switches on without input or doesn’t switch on when selected on the app.

Also, Automations don’t activate the paired one.

The one that doesn’t pair has been factory reset a number of times but still nothing.

Anything I’m missing? I have repaired the z-wave network a few times also.

I am using Z-Wave Metering Switch device handler.

Thanks

I can’t see if anybody picked up on this - I bought a starter kit from Maplin and have just got around to trying the plug. Mine is rated at 13 amp.

I couldn’t insert the first plug that I tried.
Another went in, but not easily. On examination I found that there were the expected shutters over the live/neutral connections but there was nothing visible in the earth to open them.
Instead, the shutters covering the live/neutral are angled so that inserting the appliance plug moves them aside - it works but I’m not really comfortable with the amount of downward force needed and I worry that any regular use will damage the mechanism.

I could not insert the plug upside down as the earth pin rubbed on the body of the SmartThings plug - but if the earth pin was removed there would be nothing to prevent this. Of course, however many safety features are designed in, there will always be some way around them for those who want to go down that foolish route!

Has anybody got a 13A style socket with the extra ‘spike’ to open the shutters, or is the absence by design?

I too have a few of the Heiman outlet plugs.
They seem reliable but the range isn’t as good as others (namely the TKB smart plugs) and they can drop off the network. Guess this range issue for Heimann plugs may be due to them not being Z-wave plus but the TKB plugs are Z-wave plus.
Hope this is useful to someone.

Link to TKB plugs: https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-appliance-plug-by-tkbhome-with-z-wave-plus-tz68e/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj42L-MT62AIVTrHtCh1KHwgOEAQYASABEgJHXfD_BwE

We are aware of, and are currently addressing, an issue affecting earlier generation three-pin SmartThings Power Outlets in the UK.

We have determined that, under extremely rare circumstances, there can be a loose connection to a pin of the plug inserted into the outlet. We have conducted a thorough analysis and can confirm that the Power Outlets have safety features within them designed to mitigate safety risks from such issues.

Customers who have any related concerns should contact SmartThings support through their SmartThings App (open SmartThings App >>> Dashboard >>> Support) or directly using support@smartthings.co.uk where a member of our team will be able to assist.

3 Likes

St have neen great as far as i am concerned regarding the plug. I contacted them, told them the issue got sent an rma so sent it back and now all i can do is be patient, communication has been great so cant ask for much more

You might need to cross your fingers a bit more… My RMA was sent to Samsung on the 11th December and I’ve still not received the replacement… I’ve confirmed they received it and they always act like it’s nearly sorted but it’s certainly not a quick process!