Smartapps stopped working last night?

I had most, if not all, of my smartapps that run on a schedule stop working today. It took several retries before I could get Pollster to re-schedule itself due to timeouts.

I’ve e-mailed support@ in the past about this and all I’ve ever gotten was “we don’t know of any problems but we’ll look into it”, even when I’ve pointed them at a thread of several users having the same issue.

Will watch my simple hello home good night tonight.

I’m glad I’m not alone in this although this is unfortunate to see. I really hope ST can develop to the point that we can get good reliability. It’s great to play around with and I enjoy it - but it’s nowhere near reliable enough for serious home automation or security. That’s really unfortunate.

1 Like

@jeff1 Some patience goes a long way my friend! It will be better… Hold on! They are absolutely working on it.

2 Likes

Anyone contemplating SmartThings – and I don’t advocate it for anyone but a tinkerer at this point – needs to review http://status.smartthings.com/, especially the frequency of issues. This is a beta product, at best. With that said, I’m still slogging through the challenges because I see the potential.

We all lived quite well before home automation came along. Unfortunately, automation without reliability is much worse than no automation at all.

I understand exactly what you’re saying, but it comes down to your use case.

I only use ST for convenience issues. But I’m quadriparetic, in a wheelchair with limited hand function. Convenience is huge for me.

If my touchless switch only works 50% of the time on the first hand wave, but most of the time on the second, it still adds a lot to my quality of life.

If the coffeemaker fails to turn itself on even 3 times out of 10, my life is still better than without the automation.

On the other hand, if the light that didn’t come on was in the shower, that would be a whole different issue. Or if the garage door randomly opened in the middle of the night.

I can code. I don’t want to. So i use ST for plug and play as much as possible. It’d helped me solve a couple of important convenience use cases, and it’s definitely worth the money I’ve spent so far. But I’m also holding off on a number of big projects for now as well.

So I’m not tinkering, it’s not as reliable as I’d like, I only use it for convenience, but it still makes my life much better than before I bought it. (I also had low expectations going in, though.)

Current value is just going to vary from person to person. :blush:

3 Likes

Just an FYI - we released an update recently that targets improvements related to stability and performance during peak times. Just want everyone to know that we aren’t ignoring issues like these.

2 Likes

I had lights coming on and off at random throughout the night.

Other than occasional scheduled event miss, this was the first time ST was unpredictably weird.

I’m going to file a ticket with support.

Our bedroom table lamp on my wife’s side yesterday turned itself on and off couple of times scaring my missus like hell. She made me sleep on her side of the bed… She was watching some ghost hunter kind of a show I think on TV. But well, cannot blame ST for this one as it is a regular three way table lamp with simple three way bulb. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple of key points here - I’m overall happy with the added convenience ST brings to my life. So I disagree that I’d be better off with no automation, although I do understand that sentiment. I find the conveniences to be tremendously nice. Lights turning on and off automatically. Doors locking themselves. These things are all great and make my life easier. The challenge is for “must have” / critical applications. Home Security is the one area I’ve had trouble, and that is the one area that’s critical. That simply must work 100% of the time. We can all laugh at the outdated technology that ADT has deployed throughout my home (wireless sensors) but at the end of the day, I’ve been an ADT customer for 14 years and those systems are 100% rock solid reliable. False alarms, etc. are always related to battery failure in my experience. Never glitches in the overall system. Thus ADT will not be exited from my home any time soon. But I really really really really (x100) want to exit them :smile:.

So keep at it Smarthings!! Thanks for the updates - and we should remember that $100 for the hub and maybe a little bit of $$ for sensors is all the cash we’re handing over to ST. Accounting for production costs of those things, I guarantee you that ST is massively negative in terms of cash flow. If I wanted a non-beta home automation system those can be purchased. But the pricetag keeps me happy with my beta solution for now :smile:. But I’ll still complain every now and then. . . .just a little.

-Jeff

2 Likes