Smart Water Leak Sensor?

So, I am most likely very late to the party, but trying my best to learn as I go. I have a Smartthings hub, 2nd gen, and have been adding light switches, and a few sensors here and there. The former owners of my home had an Xfinity security system, and when they left, they left the door open/closed sensors attached. I recently learned that I could pair them to my smart things hub and felt like I was King of smart things, for about 15 minutes. I have since added about 10 more open/closed sensors, and am enjoying this process.

So, now to my question! I have 2 “samsung” water leak sensors that are admittedly a bit older, but work great. Now, I want to add more under sinks, by toilets, etc (had a toilet leak, and it trashed some of my flooring, so I dont want to have that happen again).

So what are my options for a water leak sensor? I see people talk about Aeotec, but I have no idea if I would need a new hub, or if my 2nd gen hub would work with Aeotec? Other off label brands? I have had great luck with open/closed sensors meant for xfinity systems, so it got me wondering if there are other brands of water leak detectors to look at, besides Aeotec?

Be kind, I am a newb!

The US Version Aeotec Moisture Sensor will work with your hub, if you are in the US.

1 Like

Samsung made the decision to stop selling smartthings branded hardware about a year ago. Aeotec is now the hardware partner for North America and the EU/UK regions.

The first devices sold under this arrangement are just rebadged versions of the previous smartthings devices, but now with the Aeotec logo, and supported by Aeotec.

So you don’t need a new hub to use them, they are the same devices in a different box. :sunglasses:

Official announcement on the partnership:

1 Like

with Black Friday almost upon us… you may want to wait to see if there are lower prices either at Amazon or other merchants.

3 Likes

good point! I am a bit shocked at how expensive water sensors are to be honest!

1 Like

If you can wait three or four months, there will probably be a bunch of new matter compatible leak sensors that will work with smartthings, and probably cost less than the current batch. No promises, but I personally am putting off most of my device purchases for that reason.

If you have a good Zigbee mesh built out, I recommend the Linkind leak sensors. They are 4 for $50 with a 10% off coupon on Amazon right now. Uses AAA batteries for cheap and easy replacement.

I have an Edge driver for them posted here as well.

2 Likes

I have my smarthings hub, and alexa, and that is the extent of my “knowledge” at this point. I see lots of comments about Edge drivers, and such, but it is all greek to me at this point. I am sure I will learn some of this as I go along.

Basically, the smartthings system uses a driver so that the hub knows what messages to send to a specific device, and how to read the responses. This is very similar to a printer driver for your computer.

The platform provides a number of Edge drivers which will be automatically installed if the “fingerprint” of the device matches one. But these often provide only basic functionality. It’s quite common for device manufacturers or community members to create custom edge drivers, which expose additional advanced functionality.

Here’s the community FAQ on edge. It has most of the details and terminology you should need. :sunglasses:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

I had 2 ST leak sensors and one of them began chewing through batteries at a crazy clip. Like a battery every week or two, and they are one of the expensive kind. I found if I moved it near the hub it stopped, but down in the basement near the water heater, I figure I had a signal problem. It is odd as I installed a Zigbee dimmer switch within about 10 feet of it just to try and stop it, but didn’t seem to help. The one on the same floor as the hub where the laundry is has been great with no problems. So I eventually gave up and got this which is Z-wave and has been very good with battery life and signal. It has had a couple times where it registered water and kind of got stuck, but generally very happy with it. Price isn’t that much better, but just throwing out as an option as I have found z-wave to be better for me signal wise. That being said, I am unclear if this will have an Edge drive or not as mine has not migrated yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716YVPLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Any 2-wire flow meter with pulse output installed on your mainline 1in or 3/4in water pipe would work. I have used Monnit wireless pulse sensors with their Gateway devices to do this. See monnit.com

https://www.monnit.com/products/gateways/ethernet-gateways/egw4/

Cloud software is free, you can set alerts based on water usage thresholds. Pulse outputs might be around 0.75 gallons per pulse, That would be in the specs of your water meter.

Why have dozens of water leak sensors all over inside you house? You only need to monitor water use from your mainline, and one Monnit pulse sensor is sensitive enough to detect fractional excess use. Alerts are sent by message and/or email. Heartbeats are every 2 hrs by default, that’s to maximize battery life (CR2032), but you can increase it as much as you want.

There’s no way for the system to remotely shut off water valve unless you have a separate device for that. I have one but haven’t installed it yet.

At least you can get the alert when water losses are detected.

Monnit will tell you there is a leak, but not where in the house it is. Individual sensors in hard to check places, like behind a water heater, behind a washing machine, in the basement if you have pipes there, etc can be useful as well. It just depends on what you need. Since I am in a wheelchair, I can’t even check under the sink easily, so individual sensors have a lot of value for me. choice is good. :sunglasses:

1 Like