Smart things errors on "find my phone or tablet" on Smart Tag config screen, reports device list empty and "check your network connection and try again"

Samsung S10 working fine, bought four new Smart Tags, all working fine except all report “check your network connection and try again” when selecting find my phone or tablet option. Under select a device it reports “couldn’t load device list. Try again later”. My S10 is registered correctly on Samsung membership but not seeing any way to directly add it as a device within Smart Things ( I can see many devices but no option to add the phone the app is running on. Samsung support told me I don’t need to because the S10 is already registered.
All a bit confusing, am I missing something obvious? If not can anyone help?

Very little is obvious about the SmartTag. I’ve had them for quite some time now and I’ve never really felt in control of them.

I can’t explain the errors. The device list is a list of phones or tablets logged into your Samsung account.

Your phone will be registered in SmartThings but you won’t see it anywhere in the app.

Are you able to open the find plugin in the life section ?

Is so have you tapped the 3 dots top right, settings and checked through the available options

Posted same time as Graham

As Graham mentions above phones do not appear in the app as devices but you can run automations based on there prescence, the phone and connected compatible devices will/should appear in the find map

Thanks for the replies Graham and Mike.

I can’t explain the errors. The device list is a list of phones or tablets logged into your Samsung account.

The phone is registered in my Samsung account but it isn’t shown anywhere in Smart things whereas all my 4 smart tags are.

Your phone will be registered in SmartThings but you won’t see it anywhere in the app.

If it is in Smart Things I can’t see it as you say, but I also can’t see it under life section, find.

Are you able to open the find plugin in the life section ?

yes

Is so have you tapped the 3 dots top right, settings and checked through the available options
yep, but cant see any options that sort the issue out?

the phone and connected compatible devices will/should appear in the find map

Nope, no sign of the phone, only the smart tags which I’m guessing is why “find my phone or tablet” option, when selected,causes the error

Ah right. Is the same also true if you look on https://smartthingsfind.samsung.com/ ?

It might be worth taking a look in the phone settings for ‘Find My Mobile’ to make sure it is turned on for your phone. You may be able to get there via Settings > Apps > Find My Mobile > Find My Mobile settings, but it seems to vary with releases so searching the settings might be the most effective way.

Ah right. Is the same also true if you look on https://smartthingsfind.samsung.com/ ?

yes, exactly the same, the phone is not showing but all smart tags are.
Not sure if its completely seperate and unconnected from this but in google find my phone I see it perfectly!

It might be worth taking a look in the phone settings for ‘Find My Mobile’ to make sure it is turned on for your phone. You may be able to get there via Settings > Apps > Find My Mobile > Find My Mobile settings

Yep, found the settings and sure enough they are all set and turned on. I even followed the android smartthings link from the phone itself and it doesn’t show itself either.
If I look in my samsung account I see the phone name set in devices, though selecting this takes me to two entries marked as inactive, which is my home smart TV with entries from 2014/2015. If I select remove I then get a new error “processing failed”.
I’m beginning to lean towards the suspicion my samsung account is somehow screwed up? Any ideas on whether deleting this or creating a new account is going to cause more issues than it solves?
many thanks again for your help

Oh well, just thought I’d post the solution to this issue and a word of warning about a rather tragic outcome!
Samsung support were not much help, eventually suggesting I take the smart tag and phones into a service centre. I was convinced instead that my Samsung account was screwed up. I asked Samsung support if deleting the account was going to cause issues and the answer was no.
So off I went and the outcome was rather costly! I went ahead and deleted the account, set up the new account and great, my phone is now showing up perfectly. Now comes the kicker…because nothing warns you about this in Samsung info, at least anywhere I could spot:
I reset the smart tags, all then detected fine but then I get the message “smart tag owned by some one else”. So now I realise that I should have deleted the smart tags out of smart things before I deleted the account. There appears no way back, I now have four useless Smart Tags and because the old account is gone I have no way back! I presume for anyone unlucky to be hacked and lose control of their Samsung account they will also lose any Smart tag hardware associated with it.

Update: I have asked for this issue to be escalated to Samsung, seems wrong that corruption of my Samsung Membership, followed by poor advice from Samsung support should result in me bearing the cost of four written off Smart Tags

Thanks for your solution, and warning. I removed my tags, but in the end didn’t delete my account. Deleting the account would also remove the relation with secure folder and samsung pass.
Instead I removed all data from smartthings first, and removed it on all my devices. I then logged off my samsung account on all those devices. Then logged in freshly again on all devices. This solved the weird issue “check your network connection and try again”

That solved for me too.
Thanks.

I don’t follow. My issue is that my phone and tablet vanished. I can find other devices like my washer and dryer and 2 tags. I can’t add it or do anything but remove the devices. So are you suggesting that I remove the devices and log out of that account and add them back in later? It was working till a few days ago and now it can’t see my phone or tablet. My wife has that same issue.

I lost 3 devices last weekend, after I tried to add a new smart tag. My problem is for now solved by logging off and logging in again. Quite annoying indeed.
Maybe something else triggers this, as it happens to all of us. But deleting the account is not needed, that makes things worse . Doing nothing doesn’t solve it either.