For a while now I’ve been struggling to figure out some inconsistencies I’ve been experiencing with my ikea zigbee buttons. I have a 5-button remote paired to the hub, and two zigbee bulbs that are configured to be toggled on/off when the middle button is pressed.
After a lot of trial and error, and chasing some red herrings (thinking low LQI/RSSI was the issue), I’ve isolated Smart Lighting as the weak link.
Long story short, I can see the button press event register in the web IDE, but nothing will happen sometimes. With the example setup it was a…consistent inconsistency. That is, every time the bulbs were changed using the app, the FIRST remote button press would do nothing. After that, it works fine. This becomes an issue when I used voice control.
And of course, this was only the consistent misbehavior. Sometimes it would randomly ignore inputs. And on a separate setup with another zigbee remote, similarly the Smart Lighting configuration would randomly do nothing when the button press event came in and was registered.
If I set up my button press actions through the plain Automations, everything works properly without issues. Of course there are downsides to this. The Automations don’t run locally, so they are slower than Smart Lighting. Also, they don’t operate on my bulbs as a pair, so if one bulb is on while the other off, the toggle action will keep them de-synced.