Smart Home Monitor - Feature Requests

There is a problem there, and that is no local operation on v2 hub with community developed device types. And if there was one place you’d really want that, SHM (and it’s various routines) is it.

Agreed, but that’s another topic entirely. I am hoping they eventually modify their stance on what can be local vs not.

I might be missing something here but I see no way to modify the routines for the missing functionality. If I am in ‘home evening mode’, where various lights are actuated that are not in ‘home day’ mode, and I travel out for an egg cream… when I get back (and my mode is set to ‘home day’) I am left in the dark.

Now obviously I have my own SmartApp for this that checks the time and sets the mode accordingly, but that’s not gonna run locally on V2 hub, plus I’ll have to modify that routine to run the correct routine as there seems no way at this point to actually disarm SHM directly within a SmartApp.

Unfortunately, I continue to be surprised by the lack of thought put into these integrations. I would really like to use the stock rules/actions/device types where possible (to get as much running locally as possible), but their lack of common sense precludes that (especially given that this flaw has been pointed out to SmartThings numerous times in the past).

I have four modes for this: Home, Night (Home), Night (Away) and Away. Each of these routines arm/disarm my SHM appropriately. I am having trouble uploading a screenshot, but you should see a “Set Smart Home Monitor to” section. I then use the Home Phrase Director app to change modes for me automatically.

The local processing is another topic. If your concerned about your Internet Connection being down, you wouldn’t get an alert either way if someone was breaking into your home even if it’s a local or cloud app.

I am more concerned about the execution when we are home, and it is SmartThings, not my internet connection, where those concerns lie.

Like I said, I have my own Come and Go SmartApp that does this correctly, it just would be nice to see a time filter in the Routines. IIRC, there is a day filter there (wtf), but nothing for time. Seems like something a lot of users will need.

It would be great if there was a way to subscribe to intrusion events and other alerts. This would allow augmenting SHM built-in notifications with user-defined methods, for example, sound & voice, Pushbullet and othe messaging services, email, et.

P.S.
Also, just to bring the SHM to the comparable level of functionality with Smart Alarm:

• Delayed arming (exit delay)
  • Delayed alarm (entry delay)
  • Arm/Disarm using remotes. This can be accomplished by using remote to execute Routines, but currently requires additional smart app since Routines don’t have an option to be tied to a button, unfortunately.
  • Expanded notification options. One phone number for SMS notifications is not enough. Ideally, this should be made expandable by utilizing notification devices (with capability.notification) and/or broadcasting alerts via location event mechanism.
5 Likes

For the last point, I would think that one should be allowed to choose from contact list once available for all in iOS.

I don’t know about anyone else, but additional widgets for Android would be great, that or routine buttons for a home screen would be nice.

1. SHM should not arm if an open/closed sensor is open or a lock is unlocked, unless you override it. Example reply from SHM: “System not ready to arm, Patio Door is open. Override?”

2. Ability to select siren action, e.g. siren only, strobe only or both (if these are supported by the device).

3. Get rid of the Dashboard entirely and replace it with SHM, with the ability to add more items you want to monitor with their status shown. The idea is, one glance at SHM and you will know the status of your entire home.

6 Likes

I would like to shut down the AC if smoke is detected. Please forgive me if that is already possible.

I’ve written a SmartApp that allows using remotes to arm/disarm Smart Home Monitor independently of Routines.

2 Likes

There is an important design flaw in the Smart Home Monitor, when we change the mode to stay or away and there is a door or window open, we arent told so and it looks like everything is okay and the door is kept open, the alarm only triggers if you close the door and open it again

3 Likes

Feature Request:

When lights are triggered also have the ability to make them flash on/off.

3 Likes
  1. Notification options for Security Status changes (Arm Stay, Arm Away & Disarm - these are not modes). I decided to remove Smart Alarm and try SHM. I need the notifications sent to all family members about the status of the Security system. To accomplish this I had to create a routine to change the state of the Security system and create a virtual switch that is turned on/off. Then use Notify Me When the virtual switch is turned on/off. Smart Alarm has an option to notify on status changes.

2. Add “Switches” to the Custom SHM category. Until all capabilities are available in Custom SHM I need the Notify Me When app.

3. Add the Security System Status to all the Home views. It currently displays Mode but I want to see the Security Status, also. This will allow me to get rid of Modes like “Alarm On Away”, “Alarm On Stay”, and “Alarm Off”. I need these mirrored Modes currently to easily see Alarm Status in several different views. Presenting the Security System Status on the Home views/tabs would really help many of us clean up our modes and remove a few.

4. Entry/Exit Delay customizable for individual doors. (Like Smart Alarm).

5. Flash Lights Option.

6. Build the “Flasher” app functionality into the Custom SHM category.

Cheers!

6 Likes

I definitely have to second this requirement.

3 Likes

I have tablet monitors in several places in the house. And I have a lot of people coming and going, including healthcare workers. I want to monitor open/close sensors in multiple places, like the linen closet, the front gate, the window in the Guestroom.

I don’t want these to look like “call 911” situations with big red “intruder alert” messages.

On the other hand I don’t want it to look like “everything’s OK” with green :slight_smile: is either.

I want yellow “somebody take a look at this” messages on the dashboard.

I used to have that with shortcut groups. I need it back with SHM.

I would like an option on each custom alert as to whether it should show up on the dashboard level, and whether it should show up as a red or yellow condition.

5 Likes

@JDRoberts, If you go into SHM and swipe right once does that give you what you are looking for?

These are the steps.

On the dashboard:

Click on arrow:

Swipe right:

Unfortunately no, because the custom alerts don’t show on the events page. Only alerts from the “security” category show on the events page and then they will show up with the big red “intruder alert” message which freaks out the healthcare workers.

Since a picture’s worth 1000 words here are the two alternatives that the SHM gives me. Neither are acceptable at my house.

OPTION 1: CUSTOM ALERT. TEXT NOTIFICATION, BUT NO DASHBOARD STATUS CHANGE. DASHBOARD IS GREEN, EVENTS PAGE IS EMPTY.

First possibility: set up the gate alert as a custom alert. Smart things knows that the gate opened, and will send a notification to my phone, but the dashboard shows “everything’s OK” and there is nothing at all on the events page even though the gate is open.

The gate is open

But the dashboard says everything’s OK:

And the events page is blank:

OPTION 2: ADD THE GATE SENSOR TO THE “SECURITY GROUP.” IT WILL SHOW UP ON THE EVENTS PAGE, BUT THE DASHBOARD IS RED AND PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE FREAK OUT OVER THE RED MESSAGE

The events page is OK

But the status message is causing more problems than it solves:

So I want the option for a custom alert to say whether it should show up at the dashboard level, and I want a yellow status message, not just the red “intruder alert” or the green “everything is OK.” I want a yellow “review required” top message.

We had this in the previous version of the mobile app with shortcut groups. You would get a little yellow checkmark on the dashboard to indicate something was open. I want that equivalent functionality back.

2 Likes

My Dashboard looks exactly like it did before the upgrade to Android version 2.0. I still have all the categories plus the added category of Smart Home Monitor.
I discovered on my daughters iTouch that you can enable or disable these old categories. It looks like all yours have been disabled.
The only way to get them back is with an IOS device. Look for the settings on the IOS version of the app on the Dashboard page.
Cheers!