SmartThings Community

Set thermostat hold temperature for a set length of time?

(teddy) #1

hello everyone!

i’m hoping to to add some automation to my “away” scene so that when i leave the house, i can automatically lower the thermostat to a set temperature for a default length of time like 1 or 2 hours. i know i can set it permanently, but then i get home and the house is too cold! thanks for any help!

0 Likes

Hi tedgotsoul, welcome to the forum.

Scenes are a one shot deal - they set things to a certain state and then stop, so it’s not possible to do what you want using just a scene.

Here’s one way you could achieve it (assuming your away temp is 15 and home temp is 21, just for example sake)

Scene:
Have a scene that sets ‘Away’. It has the following actions:

• Set thermostat temp to 15
  • Set location mode to Away

Next, create a custom automation:

• Condition: If home mode is set to away
  • Action: Set thermostat temp to 21 with a delay of X hours

This way, by running the scene you’ll trigger an automation immediately, but it won’t actually perform the action until X amount of time has passed.

This has a limitation that you won’t be able to cancel the automation action. But it should work as you describe.

On a side note, this is the sort of thing that annoys me a bit about SmartThings. Scenes are effectively just automations that get triggered manually, but there are also certain things you can’t do with scenes (such as the delay described above.) I think SmartThings should drop ‘Scenes’ entirely as a separate entity, and allow you to set a ‘trigger’ called ‘manual’ - which causes an automation to appear in the UI as a scene does. It simplifies things a lot, but also gives you more flexibility and control.

0 Likes

(teddy) #3

That’s a great idea @stooshie45 !! However I can’t set a delay more than 10-minutes in the app. Sheesh!

0 Likes

Hit ‘Customise’ and you can select as long as you want. Just tried it, created one with a delay of 24 hours. Seemed happy with it. What version of the app are you using?

0 Likes

(teddy) #5

I am using the new app … are you using the old app? Maybe that is why I don’t have that option.

0 Likes

Nope, I’m using the new app too… that’s weird! What platform are you on (iOS/Android?)

0 Likes

(teddy) #7

I’ve got an iPhone 8 and am using the latest software and the latest app. So maybe it’s an iPhone thing?

0 Likes

Could be, that’s really weird - what thermostat are you using? Only other thing I can think of is that maybe it’s device specific?

0 Likes

Tried it on a couple of different devices (TV, Soundbar, Lightbulb, Outlet) - works on all of them. So probably not something that’s device specific.

0 Likes