Sensor to let me know when dishwasher is done?

Has anyone gotten this to work using the multi purpose sensor. I haven’t gotten it to work successfully.

I can’t use a smart plug as the dishwasher is hard wired. If you got it to work please let new know how and with which settings.

@Steven_Ross1, with newer dishwashers the main problem, they don’t vibrate (enough). If you can fit one where the pump is, you might can get a good result, but during the drying period all movements stop. Only at the end when it is removing the water the pump starts moving again.
Maybe if you manage to fit the ST multi sensor somewhere on the bottom next to the pump, you could use vibration and temperature (drying), but the temperature stays quite high usually after the drying finished too.
Easier to have a metering solution and definitely more efficient.

Good afternoon Gabor. Thank you for your response. I will try to put it closer to the pump.

A hard-wired dishwasher? Is it custom? Are you sure the plug isn’t in the next cabinet over?

Thank you Gabor. I attached it to the pump the same app that you created for the washing machine with the sonos. Fingers crossed. Let’s see how it works out. Will touch back shortly.

Gabor. Once again you are amazing. It worked. Thank you very much.

1 Like

I figured out an accurate way to monitor when the dishwasher is done by only using a multipurpose sensor. I did a write up here https://madskristensen.net/blog/receive-a-notification-when-the-dishwasher-finishes/

I tried to do this with a smart LG dishwasher, but no luck. Finally I resorted to two things: 1) smart plug (dishwasher is 120v), and 2) a contact sensor. I happened to have these in the house.

Machine uses more than 50 watts when running, but usually zero when not running and only a few watts when opened. So when it has run and stopped, but before the door is opened, it sets a virtual contact sensor to Closed.

The contact sensor is hidden. Never mind the wife; I myself would not want one stuck to the front! And it is triggered by a neodymium magnet stuck inside a corner of the door. So the magnet passes by the contact sensor, closing it momentarily… this sets the virtual sensor to Open, which triggers Alexa to say on the kitchen Echo Dot “the dishes in the dishwasher are clean”.

The whole point is to prevent a user from putting dirty dishes in a clean dishwasher.