Sensor - Hub proximity issue?

Question: if a door/window sensor is in close proximity to a ST hub, say within two feet, will that make the battery on the device wear out more quickly?

I don’t imagine it would, but one of my Visonic door sensors has suddenly been eating batteries (two in the past month). I figure it’s just a malfunctioning sensor, but as it is positioned within two feet of the hub it’s worth asking.

Shouldn’t have any effect one way or the other.

Shouldn’t matter either way.
It should still report at the programmed interval.

1 Like

Has it always been that close or did you move it? If you moved it, it might still be trying to go through a repeater which is now too far away. Since it’s a zigbee device, power off the hub for 20 mins or more then plug it back in. This will “refresh” the zigbee network.

Also, remember that the batter level within ST isn’t always accurate. I’ve found that I have sensors that will say 66% and then just die. And others that will go from 10 to 50 to 0 to 20 to 50 to 0 over and over again. A lot of that has to do with the quality of the batteries you get. Lithium are obviously better. But if they’re cheap and don’t provide a constant voltage, that might be part of the problem too.

1 Like

I moved the hub to where it is now, but that was a couple months ago. The door didn’t move :sunglasses:
Anyway, I put up a new sensor so we’ll see what happens.

As for battery levels, it was not a question of looking at levels. The issue was that the sensor was ceasing to function after a week of a new battery. Same batteries as are in the other sensors (Duracell).