About two weeks ago one of my Aeon Labs Motion gen 5 sensor got stuck on motion after, coincidentally or not, ST pushed an update to my hub.
I spent several days troubleshooting the device on my own and with the help of ST support, and the event was deemed a hardware failure. So I purchased a new sensor, multi 6, this time.
Yesterday morning, after yet another “update push” according to support, my new sensor stopped working. Again I spent countless hours trying to resuscitate the device but the conclusion was…you guessed it. Hardware failure.
What could be happening that two sensors ended up acting the same way just weeks apart? I am not trying to blame ST here, just looking for a plausible explanation to avoid this time consuming exercise in the future.
The device is about 15 ft away from the hub. I have a repeater within 3 feet. The first sensor worked with no issues in the same location for about a year.
My troubleshooting steps included:
- power cycling by taking battery out
- attempt to reset in ST (failed as device reported “healthy”)
- resetting the device to factory and then resetting in ST
- attempt to reset in ST (reported successful but didn’t fix the problem)
- general exclusion and then inclusion using stock handler (no luck)
And my favorite part, is how my last interaction with support ended:
I’m sorry (about this).
Am very puzzled of what caused this
Well, maybe take a nap and sleep on it. Things just happen sometimes.
But definitely, definitely use the Aeon 6 device handler.