Samsung SmartThings Outlet Turns off and on periodically

I just installed a Samsung SmartThings Outlet in my system and it periodically turns off and on by itself. Is there a setting I need to make or is it defective?

Is there anything in the logs to indicate what might be turning it off. Are there are Smartapps that are using it that could be turning it off?

1 Like

Where do I go to see the logs?

1 Like

In the Smartthings app, look at the Recently tab for the device. The SmartApps tab will show your potential culprits. Also go to https://account.smartthings.com/login, go to the device and List Events and see if anything jumps out there,

2 Likes

I see lots of events like this:
2018-03-11 9:50:27.937 PM CDT
5 days ago DEVICE power 0.0 Outlet power is 0.0
2018-03-11 9:31:50.412 PM CDT
5 days ago DEVICE power 39.0 Outlet power is 39.0
2018-03-11 9:24:40.842 PM CDT
2018-03-11 9:13:55.238 PM CDT
2018-03-11 8:55:48.744 PM CDT
2018-03-11 8:35:30.158 PM CDT
Why would the outlet power be changing from 0 to 39?

Assuming that’s power monitoring, if the outlet has an led, it will be using a nominal amount of power - or it could just be a margin of error in how it measures power usagage. That’s just noise though - its any on/off events you’re looking for.

1 Like

Is there anything in that log that shows “Command”? At the top of the Event List there’s some toggles ‘displayed / all / from device’, it is set to ‘all’?

I manually turned an outlet of mine on and off and can see the events reported there. (Oddly enough, they don’t show up in Live Logging. Do we not get live logging for things that live entirely within SmartThings? I never noticed that.)

When you say on and off, I’m assuming you can hear the relay click. Is this the newer style outlet? (Rounded for new, squared for old).

1 Like

I’m getting the same behavior with mine. I am attempting to run a 1.5 amp water pump on the outlet and it periodically switches on then off. It seems finally to the point where once the pump switches off, it won’t turn back on again unless I manually plug it in. The pump itself runs fine on a regular outlet, and the samsung smart outlet works fine when plugging in other devices like a power adapter. It seems like the smart outlet fluctuates from drawing 90w and 0w ever 15 seconds or so.

I am experiencing similar behavior for a dishwasher and a clothes dryer. roughly 40% of the time, the instant I activate the connected device (dryer or dishwasher), the outlet powers off. I wonder if it is an over-sensitive surge protector?

anyone else experiencing this or resolved it? In the old days, I had home automation “light” and “appliance” modules. maybe I need an appliance module??

https://amzn.to/2EgZxoS might be the solution to run larger appliances

I have a refrigerator plugged into a Zooz Zen15 Z-Wave Plus Power Switch. If your setup allows room for the Zooz, that is what I recommend.

1 Like