Samsung SleepSense

Having watched the IFA 2015 confrence i was very very impressed with the upcoming SleepSense device which can monitor your sleep / breathing / heartbeat with 97% accuracy and . . . will be SmartThings compatible . . .

This will open up some cool new features / use cases . . . of accurately turning off bedroom tvs and lights when you actually fall asleep or opening blinds and turning on a coffee machine when you actual wake as a pose to an estimation or guess.

what are peoples thoughts ?

more info:

7 Likes

Not sure that I need such a device but it looks intriguing from a tech perspective. I have a Sleep Number bed, so Iā€™m wondering if the different settings used by my wife and I will throw off the sensor. Will it need recalibrated each time I make an adjustment to the mattress?

Iā€™m intrigued, but have the same concern as pd. I donā€™t imagine this thing will be cheap, either.

I want some. The current solutions out there are not good

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering the same thing. I have an S+ from ResMed, which is not connected to anything smart. It is nice to get a report every morning on how I slept, as well as tips to sleep better. Connecting it to the home would be nice, however, manipulating the environment may miff off the wife, as we fall asleep/wake differently. For example, I wake up about an hour earlier, I can imagine the conversation if that triggered the lights and shades to open.

As I see it any truly automated home is held back by two major issues:

1. Indoor location accuracy (or accurate presence sensing) - And this is gradually being worked on.

2. Ability to tell when someone is asleep in a room - Thus this new device interests me.

Hereā€™s a scenario that encompass both problems. On the week days I work way later than my girlfriend and sheā€™s often asleep by the time I get home, I need light in the bedroom so I need some sort of motion sensor to turn one on when I enter the room, but I donā€™t want it to turn all the lights on when there is someone already in the room who is currently asleep. Instead I just want the Philips Hue strip I have under the bed to turn on to give me a bit of light.

At the same time if weā€™re BOTH asleep in the room, we donā€™t want that same motion sensor to keep turning on even just the Hue strip under the bed. Additionally if weā€™re both just getting home late and we walk in the room, we want it to turn on some normal lights light the nightstands and the accent Hue Irisā€™ I have behind the TV.

Accurate indoor location and sleep sensors would solve all the above issues with an appropriate rules engine.

1 Like

I got around this by hiding the motion sensor behind a jewelry cabinet (approx half way hidden). If you come into the room, or sit up in bed, it will turn on the under-bed lights, because you break the plane of the top of the jewelry cabinet, it ā€˜seesā€™ you. It took some trial and error, but it works great now, sort of like you describe above. My intentions were for it to not turn of if animals are moving about in the bedroom, but turn on the bed lights if we walk in, or wake up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. WAF is high on this implementation. Adding another sensor in the master bathroom to only turn on the lights at 10% in the middle of the night is another big hit.

2 Likes

The SleepSense is a super cool connected device. I first used it in January at a top-secret CES event. I canā€™t wait until everyone else can check it out!

2 Likes

I would love this to work automatically, but my wife snores like a wildebeast (direct experience) and is up and down 3 times a night (also direct knowledge).

Automation is tricky.

Oh my gosh! LOL!!!

Yessir, I have a plan to hide two EcoLink Z-Wave PIR motion sensors under both our nightstands, that way my one can only see when someone comes into the room or I get out of bed putting my feet on the floor and herā€™s can only see when she gets out of bed by putting her feet on the floor.

It should work but thatā€™s not the point, nasty hacks and all! :slight_smile:

Hopefully devices like the SleepSense will be less of a hack and more intelligence!

@Tyler, is there any more information on how this device works or is it waiting on a official release for more information?

This device has 2 different attributes: ā€œbedstateā€ and ā€œsleep stateā€, which tell you if someone is in bed/out of bed, sleeping/not sleeping.

You insert it under your spring mattress (if you have a foam mattress the reverberations wonā€™t be passed through) and it should pick up your heartbeat and respiration.

There will be a rule builder as well released for sleep sensors.

3 Likes

There will be a rule builder as well released for sleep sensors.

@kris Wait. Rule Builder. For everythings?

I liked your post but sad about this part :frowning:

This rule builder will be released for sleep sensors explicitly and appear as a solution module on the first page of the new mobile app.

Havenā€™t tried this yet with a non-spring mattress, but I can and let you know!

The other option is to put it directly under your sheets (less comfortable, but it does work)

1 Like

I am curious how this works with two people in the same bed.

There is an option for single/multiple people in bed within their mobile app.

That would be much appreciated! Maybe between the pillows or in the middle at the foot of the bed or something?

I was thinking on our couch here since the cushions are foam based, should be similar. :slight_smile: