Samsung goes after Apple at home with new Connect Home hub

I want to ask do the Samsung Connect Home Hub using the same cloud with SmartThings hub v2 that they can share the account data/smart home setting?

I wonder if the new Samsung Connect Home will have a new and replaced SDK, potentially rendering the existing user codebases (SmartApps etc) obsolete?

My company wants to start investing in the SmartThings ecosystem but can’t until we know if the SDK is going to completely change with the release of the Connect Home.

Your company will be completely paralyzed if it is constantly paranoid that things are “going to completely change”.

Unless Samsung offers you a Service / Partnership contract (which they won’t), then you can safely assume that anything can change at any time without any notice.

This is a brutal industry.

3 Likes

Ok, but talking to the technical aspects and not business, is the SDK expected to change or do we not know yet?

James

Did anyone buy one of these hubs?

There’ve been a couple of threads from people in the forum who bought them.

Thanks. Doesn’t look hopeful

I’m really confused. I know these aren’t out in the UK yet, but I was hoping to combine my router and hub for better placement and range.

I cannot work out if this can be used to replace my v2 hub. It certainly doesn’t look like there is a battery backup

I use the SmartThings APP with Samsung Connect Home Hub with no problem.

2 Likes

I don’t have one of these, but since it’s a wifi router and a smartthings hub in one device, I really doubt two AA batteries would run it for very long if your power goes out.

If battery backup is really important for you, it’d be easy enough to plug it into an uninterruptible power supply.

How are you doing that? I use an iPhone and am using version 2.7.1 (1416) of the SmartThings app. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see any way to log into Samsung Connect through the app.

I have a total of 4 incoming. Won via eBay auction. I won’t be using it as a SmartThings Hub, just as a mesh Wi-Fi router.

Both the Samsung Connect App and the SmartThings App (I am on Android) see
my hub in my Samsung Connect Home wifi set up. I did have to use my main
Samsung account login ID and Password for the SmartThings App.

i have a galaxy s7 with connect and a ST v2 hub, where the connect app on the phone does see my devices it is nothing like as useable as the ST app, renaming devices is a pain, if u add and remove devices from ST they remain in connect and have to be edited out manualy, switching things on and off in connect gets a slow response and the connect app reports off even though the item has been switched on, overall at the moment with my particular setup connect is un useable

1 Like

Well Samsung just confirmed this isn’t coming to the UK anyway!

Especially in light of the reality that Samsung just deleted ST from its smart TVs.

There’s no way whatsoever that I could be persuaded to move to new Samsung technology. It’s become a running gag from my standpoint: they promise some future something in the product they sell you today. You buy it… and the promise is never fulfilled. And then the product self-destructs immediately after the warranty runs out.

The reason ST works as well as it does IMO is that the biggest chunk of its development occurred prior to Samsung’s involvement.

Nothing beats the enthusiasm of a start-up! Then, the company “grows up” and reality sets in. An acquisition by a large company changes the culture dramatically…

JMO :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I’m in the market for mesh wifi and currently on v1 of ST. Now that it’s been out for a bit now, Is the Connect right for me?

Mostly running zwave with some zigbee bulbs mixed in. Using CoRE (haven’t gotten into webcore) and a few other non-offcial apps. I’m not a “power-tinkerer” but I do want to maintain as much flexibility as I can.

For me, I won’t invest in one of these (Orbi, Eero, Samsung Connect Home, Cox even has their version now, etc.). I live in a 2,500 sq ft home and I have the Netgear Nighthawk 5300 and with it I don’t have a dead spot in the house or around the yard. It’s tri-band (one 2.4ghz and two 5ghz bands). I do have some LIFX bulbs around the front of my house and wanted those connected thru the 5ghz channel (5ghz is much faster but shorter range whereas 2.4ghz is longer range but less speed) so i did add a Netgear AC1200 wifi range extender to act as an Access Point (that’s my mesh). My opinion about going that route is that for me, reliability isn’t proven, more devices to maintain, more things to potentially break and add more complexity to my environment. I have read different threads on the Samsung Connect Home with some positive and some not so friendly feedback, some in this entire thread. I’m sure you will get some good reviews from others that are using any of these products successfully. Just throwing out an option/opinion that goes a different route. For me, being in the dark ages is a solid solution, lol, well not exactly the dark ages :slight_smile:

Here is an additional thread:

1 Like

I like to maintain flexibility too. So I would keep my ST hub and network router separate.

I’m still on a v1 hub too; it’s been working well enough for me and setting up a new v2 hub would be so tedious I probably won’t bother til my hub dies.

3 Likes