Smartthings Hub V2 vs. Samsung Connect Home? Switching

My Zigbee coverage has been terrible from day one which makes 3 or 4 of my multi purpose sensors pointless.

Because of that, I jumped on the Samsung Connect Home Deal that Best Buy had this week ($99). I know this will allow me to use all 3 devices as Zwave and Zigbee repeaters AND get better Wifi coverage to my pool and other low coverage areas.

My questions, are about the transition from the V2 hub to the Connect home.

Can I use my existing V2 hub and somehow connect the new system to it? Or will my V2 hub be useless?

Is the transition smooth or do I have basically start over with pairing all of my devices.

Will I lose or gain any functionality or be stuck to the new app?

I 'm going to try to research some of this, but I figured I’d ask most of my questions in one place in case some of you have already been through this transition.

Though functionality is similar, the hubs are different. I’m switching from the V2 hub to the 3 pack of Samsung Connect Home to broaden my Zigbee, Zwave, and Wifi Coverage in my home. However when it gets here, I’m not sure about the transition from one hub to the other.

He’s referring to the V2 hub and the Connect Home, which are two separate things.

You will have to start from scratch. Support may be able to provide some steps to ease the process, but right now there is now migration tool. You’ll have to set up the Connect Home with the new smartthings app, but can then go back to using classic. The Connect Home also supports less local devices than the V2 hub.

1 Like

The OP is referring to The hardware devices, not the mobile apps.

Samsung’s mesh Wi-Fi router system is called by different names in different regions, and although the full name in the US is “Samsung connect home,” A lot of retailers and bloggers just list it as “Samsung Connect.”

I stand corrected.

1 Like

It looks like I have my work cutout for me then if I have to re do all of my automations and apps.

Does anyone know what the bluetooth 4.1 connectivity can be used for? If I remember right, the V2 doesn’t have that.

V2 has a bluetooth chip, but it as never enabled.

Bluetooth is used during initial set-up of the Connect Home. Previously this was only supported by the Android version of the app but I believe iOS supports it now too.

I am facing the exact same project of going from ST Hub V2 to Samsung Connect for the same reasons you are. Have you started the transition? I really wish there was a way to migrate to Samsung Connect or just add the Samsung Connect to my current ST Hub V2. I dread adding all my smart devices back and if I have to redo all the automation I’ll probably just look at moving my ST Hub V2 to a better location and shop for a wifi mesh system. Just curious how your journey is going since we are facing the same decisions. thanks!

From what I can recall, only one of the Connect Home will work as the Zigbee/Zwave hub and rest do not repeat the Zigbee/Zwave. They only act as Wifi mesh points. I would be happy to know if that isn’t the case. Also the Connect Home seems to be few versions behind the Hub V2. Not sure if that lag will continue or they will be brought up to be the same in future.

1 Like
2 Likes

Wow, that is good to know. Nice incentive to be on Connect Home vs Hub. Now if only they can bring it to the same level as ST Hub Firmware. :smile:

If the home connect only acts as one hub I’m not sure the incentive of getting the 3 pack unless you just want a wifi mesh. Of course it would be awesome if one of the connects would act as a repeater to my v2 hub now! Then I could stay the same with my v2 hub, extend the range, and have wifi mesh! But, if that’s the case I’m assuming I’d have to add the connect as a “thing” in smartthings to act as a repeater? Not sure how that would work but I’d love it if this is the case!

I have not started the transition yet as I have been out of town. My new devices are at home waiting on me though so hopefully I’ll know something soon.

I’m intrigued by just using them as repeaters for my V2 hub. I hope it works like that. It would save me a LOT of time. If this happens I only have to figure out a better way to have my geofencing work. It used to work so flawlessly with the older software on my note 8, now it rarely, if ever, works.

So I bit the bullet and disconnected all of the devices from my V2 hub and connected my New connect hubs and re-added all of my apps and devices.

It took me about 30 minutes to transfer everything on the IDE. I just went through them one at a time and transferred the code. Some of them, I found out, had updates and I installed the new code instead so that is a positive. Everything seems to be working well at the moment and I probably had about 2.5 hours invested in the transition. I’ll sell my V2 hub so it will be worth it in the long run. Not to mention, Samsung had not yet merged my Smartthings and Samsung accounts, so I can now use the new app interface if I choose, whereas before I could not.

1 Like

In Response to: “If the home connect only acts as one hub I’m not sure the incentive of getting the 3 pack unless you just want a wifi mesh. Of course it would be awesome if one of the connects would act as a repeater to my v2 hub now! Then I could stay the same with my v2 hub, extend the range, and have wifi mesh! But, if that’s the case I’m assuming I’d have to add the connect as a “thing” in smartthings to act as a repeater? Not sure how that would work but I’d love it if this is the case!”

The V2 hub did not seem to recognize the connect at all. I had one customer service person tell me that the scenario that you mentioned would work with using the connect solely as an extender. Then I had another customer service person tell me the opposite. From my tests, I don’t think it was working. I spent $100 on the 3 pack, so I wanted to KNOW it was working, so I did transition to the new one.

On a side note, They did tell me that any of the 3 could operate as the base hub, so that should confirm that Zwave and Zigbee are at least included in the add on modules and should be a repeater as well.

1 Like

Spoke with ST tech support twice. Once they told me that connect home will act as both WiFi and ZigBee/ZWave repeaters / mesh. Another time that I will only get WiFi mesh, and only first device will be sending out ZigBee /ZWave just like stand alone hub v2
Their online articles suggest that first tech was right.
Can anyone confirm ZigBee mesh.
Regards

Not from experience, but from what I’ve read simple answer is no
If "connect home " can pull this trick in their own Eco system is still an open question for me.
If they can I would ditch my current v2 hub and replace it with mesh of connect home devices (up to five ).

Maybe

it clearly states that “You can add additional Connect Home Wi-Fi Hubs that will act as ZigBee and Z-Wave repeaters and can be used to extend the range of your ZigBee and Z-Wave networks, in addition to extending your Wi-Fi network.”
“Connecting the sub hub will automatically extend your Wi-Fi network and ZigBee and Z-Wave mesh networks”