Routines not triggering and/or are partially executing

There are just a lot of different factors. A routine/smartapp that has more devices and it may be more likely to timeout although I have one routine does nothing but change the mode to “home” at seven in the morning and it fails a lot. It may have to do with which runs one locally in which run in the cloud, although there are people who reported things better both places.

Smartthings staff recently posted to the forum that they’re going to replace the scheduler completely, which they hope will improve reliability, and that that is scheduled to go into beta testing in a month or so. We can all hope that will improve things. :sunglasses:

Glad I found this thread. I migrated to ST after being an original Vera user. I did not migrate to recent versions of Vera because I had a very stable system including numerous Z-wave lights and routines, including landscape lighting and a pool pump that was triggered on and off based on timing and/or sunset.

I migrated to ST with initial success. However as of around 2-3 months ago timed routines started failing occasionally, and then consistently. I feel as though it’s my lucky day when my landscape lighting turns on after sunset. I guess I should consider that simple and rare joy a bonus of my ST migration.

Now I am seriously ready to pitch the hub into to the trash due to frustration. As someone noted above, a smart hub without timed scene capabilities is worthless, at least to me. For me, manual triggering of the routines always works (eg, turning on the pool pump or lights that failed to trigger automatically).

I look forward to a fix. If I don’t see something soon I’m demanding a refund and will return to Vera.

1 Like

The issue stated in the first post of this thread is now happening with my setup. The I’m Back routine which should execute on presence detection stopped working. It is not intermittent, it just stopped working. This is after it ran fine for 2 months. The routine does execute a mode change.

I tried the suggestions mentioned here; deleting the affected mode and re-creating (a pain), making minor changes to the routine, and finally deleting and recreating the routine. Nothing worked.

The presence sensor is accurately detected as it triggers a light to go on using the Smart Lighting app.

After trying to troubleshoot for an hour I gave up and added a Rule Machine trigger that executes the I’m Back routine on presence. That works.

I am having some of the same issues, my issues are if the command to run the routine comes from an “everyone leave/someone arrives” event only parts will run. However if I run the routine from the app manually, everything works as expected…

This is happening again, nearly every time I run a routine. Either switches don’t change, SHM does’t change or Mode doesn’t change.

I have to manually flip back and forth between routines until it all flushes out. Automatic routines are unreliable right now.

Glad it’s not just me. It seems to be OK again but yes, I was having the same odd issues from 6mo back all over again for a day or two when you posted this.

SHM didn’t disarm this morning for me. Caused some notification annoyances, nothing more.

Thanks - we’re tracking this (currently have some developers dedicated to monitoring missed routines/smartapps) and pushed out a change on the 19th that we thought would bring relief to these issues (mentioned on Tim’s July 20th post) by reducing database connection contention between executing smartapps from the scheduled execution cluster. Completely possible that there is something else in play here so please contact support with details, the more data points the better.

3 Likes

I just recently ran into this issue as well. It started yesterday. Only seems to be affecting routines that are connected to presence sensing. I did send something to support to log it. I had a routine run this evening when I arrived, but it took 10 minutes to fire. I left and came back and it didn’t fire at all.

Eek, did a whole bunch of tracing and I was wrong here. My girlfriend took an unexpected path tripping motions that were not programmed to wake the house.

My bad, no SHM issue.

I have had to kickstart some SmartApps, but that is REALLY common after a hub update. I’m not sure whether to consider that normal or not.

I have similiar issue. I have one smart power outlet that part of goodnight routine that does not get executed. The other things in the routine does get executed successfully.

I can still command the outlet manually from the app.

I have opened support tickets. I have performed all troubleshooting steps that make sense. I have sparse response on my ticket. It used to work. Please just fix it

Found this post. Just the past week or so, my night timed trigger will show e routine triggered in he log but no lights shut off.
Manual works every time,

I had this problem a while back I think. Right now for certain it fails only when triggered via timer. Manual works every time.

@iharyadi and @rickla - if you have already submitted reports to support@, please DM the ticket numbers and I will investigate. If not, can you fill out this form, indicate the date/time of the failure, and DM the ticket numbers in the autoresponder email.

Thanks!

I believe the ticket is

[SmartThings Support] Support request #239346: Unstable good night routine

The issue also impacting good morning routine.

They used to work perfectly. One day, i do not remember when, it stop
working.

It is not a connection issue. I can manually turn the outlet on and off.
I do not think I experience missing command when I am doing this manually.

All other things in the routine executed just fine.

Thanks
Iman

Anyone else have routines fall off the wagon this morning? My timed 5am and 7am ones simply did not trigger.

I’ve sent an update to my ticket that Aaron tagged for it…

1 Like

I am and also SHM issues

My “Good Morning” routine also failed to run today. It was supposed to be executed at sunrise, around 6:26 AM GMT-3. I’ve been seeing a bunch of my scheduled routines (pretty much every other day) failing to execute since the migration to the new scheduler.

1 Like

Routines not running and pistons with holes burn in the top.

One says if minimote button 3 pressed turn on MBR fan
If button 4 pressed turn on MBR Lamps

Well they have been working great. Last night I could press any one of the 4 buttons and it would execute all four buttons commands. CoRE issue? NO because the rules work this morning and worked before last night. ST has issues still even if the marketing page says all is well

1 Like

Submitted ticket on this issue this morning. My example - the built in Goodbye routine executes partially by setting SHM to away mode, but fails to set thermostat set points.

What is weird is that live logging shows debug entries alluding to the set points being moved (80 if in cool mode, 65 if heat mode), but if I go to the device on the IDE page, the setpoints remain unchanged (in this case, still set to 70).

EDIT: I think this is due to a power outage issue experienced the other day. Not a platform issue.

1 Like

I’m having issues as well. I’ve set up fairly simple routines to occur when my wife or I android cross the GeoFence to turn the outside lights on After Sunset. The routine is always triggering however regardless of whether it’s past sunset or not.