Routines not triggering and/or are partially executing

This is ridiculous! ! My simple, time- fired goodnight and good morning routines will not stay stable! I have removed and created them multiple times and they will work for a few days…until they don’t! Come on Vera Plus…please resurrect my not-so-smart house…

I have deleted all routines and am trying to run everything through 4 separate “Rules” with RuleMachine. Will see if things stay stable now that I have opted to work around routines altogether for a while.

Here’s the response I got…Haven’t tried it yet though. Anyone having luck with this workaround?

Hey Adam,

Thanks for reaching out!

This is an issue that is a top priority for our engineers. We have already made some promising progress with some recent updates. For the time being, we have recently added the ability for users to update their scheduled automations themselves. This will allow you to send a command to the SmartApp or Routine that is ‘stuck’ and get it rescheduled and working properly again! To do this, follow these steps:

Go to https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
Click Log in
Enter your SmartThings account credentials (email and password)
Click Log in
Click My Locations
Scroll down to Installed SmartApps, and click List SmartApps
Find the Routine or SmartApp that is having scheduling issues
Click Update beside it
Sit back and enjoy your freshly updated and rescheduled SmartApp/Routine
There is also an article that discusses this here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207886053

1 Like

Nope. In fact, at least for me, quite the contrary. My routine scheduled to run at 0630 every day has failed to fire a single time since performing the update routine as prescribed.

I’ve been lurking on this thread and waiting for this issue to be swiftly and efficiently squashed, but I’m now thoroughly pissed off.

I transitioned away from a Vera Lite because of instabilities and saw Smartthings as being the stable and reliable platform that I wanted. At least, that’s certainly how it was advertised. Now I have a home automation controller that doesn’t know what time it is. Seriously!?

Hopefully I’m not the only person who feels that a home automation controller that cannot be automated to perform functions at a certain time of day is a useless turd…? And, no, I am not willing to circumvent this issue by using an alternate method or workaround. This should just work. Period.

In fact, while I’m at it, I have another complaint here. I purchased a v2 hub on the premise that THIS hub works without the need for Internet connection because routines run locally. HA!

1 Like

My routines are failing consistently now. My good morning routine is slow to work and my alarm is triggered consistently when we come home (using iPhones as presence). Worked great for a month or 2 then just flaked out. Nothing new added. Using GE switched, smart things, and DLink motions. Sonos is connected as well. Ideas?

Multiple routines are now failing for me. Nothing from support except more questions.

For me this is the number 1 issue with this hub and should be their top priority to fix. It happens multiple times a day. The routine will manual work just fine, but if you want it to automatically trigger as its programmed to do then you’re almost guarentteed to be let down. I’d love to know where this stands in their priority of projects.

Same here, but they keep telling me to hang in there and that things will get better… the development team is working on these issues, bla bla bla. Honestly, I think there are some very basic, core issues with the system… some code related and and evident (lack of) server / load related issue. I don’t know if their development team is a one man show or if they are paying someone part time to develop for them but honestly, my organization would simply be shut down if there were consistent ongoing issues with no resolution like this. This is just incredible and I honestly don’t understand why Samsung isn’t doing something to remedy this as it is majorly tarnishing their name in this industry.

2 Likes

Add my name to the list of annoyed/upset people having this issue. If my events cannot reliably fire when I program them to then there is no real point in having a scheduling feature. I have removed my z-wave controlled thermostat from my system since I cannot get it to work reliably, the manually setup schedule on my cheap thermostat does a better job. I also have some lighting schedules that just randomly decide they don’t want to fire and I don’t have a lot of items scheduled to happen at any particular time.

Routines at least have a way to manually fire, anything that you have scheduled in a SmartApp such as Smart Lighting can be a pain to have to do manually if you are trying to control several devices (like turn on 3 different lights and set to certain brightness). What should happen automatically ends up being a case of finding my phone, then opening the app, then find the devices I need to set and set each one manually.

Three of four weeks ago ST finally acknowledged there was a problem with the scheduling. 6 month too late I think but at least they finally acknowledge it.

Two or three weeks ago they were implementing a fix for the scheduling issue. Things went well for almost two weeks. The marked the issue as solved something like a week after the fix.

Now, since last week, things are as bad, if not worse, than they were before the fix. I have to update my schedule daily or else they just don’t work.

This just tell me how ridiculous this company is starting to act…

1 Like

Put me on the list. Worked great for a couple of weeks, then it stated acting up. I then used the “update fix”, worked for a week.

I had better luck with x10.

I just sold all my Insteon stuff before this started happening, I should have kept it. This is not good.

All my proximity routines fire perfectly. Its my timed routines are the only ones I’m having an issue with. I’ve “updated” them on the website as suggested but this didn’t do anything to fix the problem.
I did find a fix but who know how long it will last. Instead of going to graph.api.smartthings.com I updated the routine through the app by deleting or changing only the routines time and then clicking done to completely exit out. I initially updated it to be 2 minutes out from present time so that I could see if they were firing or not without having to wait until the next day. I stumbled across this when I went to analyze the time the routie was supposed using the app. I changed the time and then changed it right back and then clicked done but when I clicked done it errored out. I thought it was funny because I hadn’t actually changed anything. Then I began thinking that this error could very easily be the root cause of my routines not firing when they were supposed to.
I repeated deleting the times and clicking done a few times saving the changes to the time as well as the routines to all of my timed routines. The result so far is that everything is working (knock on wood).
If your having issues with geofenced routines it would be good to check to make sure your phone is where it thinks it is. I opened up my geofence fairly large to prevent any false triggers. I may plan to reduce their size slowly and then back off a bit when I start having issues. I really don’t have any security problems with where it’s at now though so I may not touch it.

I hope this may help others with problems that they are having. (And I hope my fix continues to work for me too!)

UPDATE: 1 week later and still working great

@slagle Any progress? My 07:00 GMT “Good Morning” has been failing consistently for many weeks now.
When I manually select it in the Android widget it works fine.

I can IM you my user id if you are still looking for cases?

Thanks

I have been having increasingly more issues (everything was fine when I initially switched to v2 hub). I initially relied heavily on the smartapp, Routine Director by Tim Slagle, but this smartapp is now completely useless to me simply because my configured routines fail to run. I can see Routine Director calling these routines, but nothing runs until I run them manually. I have reverted to using routine schedules (such as sunset and proximity) to switch my different modes, which works a little better, but it is completely unreliable, especially the sun time schedules. Here’s to hoping they get this sh** fixed soon!

Same with me, my nightly Go To Bed Routine fails 99% of the time. Funny that my evening sunset always works. So everything turns on, but nothing will turn off.

I’ve been following this thread however until recently I was not affected. Until last week when I noticed my Away and Good Night routines were only partially executing. They would fire based on people leaving or motion ceasing however they wouldn’t complete. Failing to turn things off and locking the doors.

I wasn’t affected before but not that I am it’s a pain and the wife is not happy when this fails. I saw there was another update coming or has come so I either this messed things up for me or hopefully it fixes it. But I’m not holding my breath…

I see this error in both my goodbye and good night routines:
error java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 82751346567771 @ line 370

I’ll open a ticket with ST.

here is what fixed my issue for now. these are excerpts from emails from support

For the Good Night! and Goodbye routines, because we’re controlling so many devices, we may be running in to an issue there. Could you split these in to parts, and limit it to 11 devices per routine, and let me know if that does the trick?

The 11 device limit is based on a current bug in the local execution of devices, and will be fixed with a firmware update in the future. If the devices aren’t local, then the limit doesn’t apply - you can use this link to determine what devices are currently running local.

Unfortunately not the case for me, my “Good Night” routine only contains 2 light bulbs and 1 switch and that routine frequently (not always but probably 75% of the time) will not fire. I tried the same combination in the Smart Lighting app instead of a routine and ran into the same issues. I tried the update “feature” they added to the IDE and that did not do a single thing to fix the issue. Since others have said the same thing I wonder if that “feature” really does anything, it sure doesn’t give any indication that it does anything.

The update feature changes the next scheduled time for the app/routine to run.

One common problem is that if a routine/app times out, it will be stuck with a “next run time” that is in the past. Which means it will never run. :scream:

They used to tell us to just open the routine/smart app, change the schedule time by minute either way, and save it again. And that would then fix the “next runtime” and it would work again. For a while.

Obviously this got pretty tedious if you had multiple routines that were stuck.

So they added the “update” button in the IDE (which I still think should be called “refresh” instead) which just does the same thing – – it reevaluates the routine and refreshes the “next run date” which should make it a future date again and get everything “unstuck.”

It’s easy to see this happen. Just open your IDE and find a failing routine/app which has a “next rundate” that is in the past. Note that date.

Press the update button. Check the next run date again, and it should be now set to the future.

Note that if the routine/app was already OK and did have a future run date, then the “update” button won’t end up changing anything. In only fixes the ones that have “next run date” values that are in the past. :sunglasses:

I guess I wonder why it sometimes works without me updating anything. Does the app sometimes “unstick” itself and then get back into the same situation? I have only done the update thing a couple of times and when it didn’t seem to fix the issue I quit doing it but the routine will still sometimes fire like it is supposed to, typically I end up having to turn the devices controlled by that routine manually.

It is also interesting that this issue happens to my “Good Night” routine as well as one of my Rule Machine schedules more often than any of the others, as a matter of fact I think all of my other schedules work perfectly and 1 or 2 may have failed 2 or 3 times in the 3 months I have had them setup whereas the problem schedules seem to fail 75% of the time like I stated.