Ring Video Doorbell

Possibly. I imagine it might allow us to turn on/off a light and/or lock/unlock a door. The worst-case scenario is that they only allow us to use it for changing SHM state. :worried:

For anyone who has the live stream working - how is it being done? No chance itā€™s mjpeg? Thatā€™d work with SmartTilesā€¦

Tried to get Technical Support to tell me - but they informed me that information is ā€œnot publicā€

Not sure, but if the API is not public its difficult to get into tiles. It is only on demand and through the phone app there is an authentication process that has to be reversed engineered.

@desertblade There is a Mac App as well that runs on OS X.

RING MAC OSX APP

But not sure if that helps. I havenā€™t looked through the package contents yet.

This is most likely what will happen, with access to the motion and button trigger.

Ring wonā€™t allow access to the video as itā€™s a major part of their revenue stream.

1 Like

Just got my Pro and installed it last night. Would be amazing if I could integrate live view with ST. Besides the lack of API, the other issue is Ring records all of your live view sessions. I can go back and watch any live view session I had open. If we were to stream live view for any extended period of time, I imagine they wouldnā€™t want to generate massive video files.

Just got one of these to try out with Costcoā€¦looking like its not going to be part of the ST IoT network anytime soā€¦yeah, reboxing soon I guess.

Yeah itā€™s kind of a bummer, but you can at least link the two to some extent with IFTTT. I have mine turn on some lights at night whenever the Ring detects motion. Overall, the device works really well, and I just donā€™t see any better alternatives integration-wise.

4 Likes

Yeah I returned it, Costco lady was likeā€¦ā€œWhat is SmartThingsā€?

Use IFTT for my cases with Ring, slight delay to trigger off of motion but not too bad.

I heard it was coming soon but canā€™t find the refrence

1 Like

Why would you expect someone at Costco to know what SmartThings is? You could have integrated it through IFTTT until the official integration comes through this summer.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t expect them to know what SmartThings was.

Iā€™ve done enough waiting for ST ā€œofficial integrationā€ā€¦ever heard of what happened to MyQ garage door opener integration?

Has anyone integrated their Ring with Smartthings through IFTTT?

Iā€™d like it to turn on a porch light when motion is detected, but the caveat is that I only want that to occur if itā€™s dark out and the light is already off. I set up a momentary button tile device in ST, and have IFTTT triggering it when motion is detected. However, on the ST side, I canā€™t figure out how to make it so that if that momentary button is triggered, it turns on a light for 5 minutes (unless it is already on, in which case nothing happens), and then turns it off again if it was triggered, provided it is dark out.

Is this possible with the stock routines thing in the app, or do I need to install a community app to make it work?

Yes, I have this set up. Itā€™s a bit of a roundabout way of doing things, butā€¦

1.) Create Virtual momentary button (call it ā€œDoorbell Lights-Vā€ or something)
2.) Add that switch in the Things setup in IFTTT
3.) Create recipe to turn the switch on when motion is detected
4.) Create new Smart Lighting rule to turn on which lights you want triggered by the virtual switch being turned on.
5.) Use the built-in restrictions to only fire if mode is evening or night.

1 Like

Is there a way to have the light turn off after a certain amount of time if it was triggered by the momentary button?

Iā€™d like to be able to turn my porch light on and off myself, and not have ST touch it if I was the one who turned it on, but if it was turned on by the IFTTT action, to turn off after x minutes. I canā€™t seem to find the proper restrictions to do this.

With the easy configurable stuff, I donā€™t think thatā€™s possible. Maybe it can be done with CORE? Iā€™ve never looked into whether or not you can figure out the action ā€œsourceā€ in SmartApp code to affect the logic, but Iā€™m guessing it could be done that way if youā€™re into writing code.

Otherwise, the closest you can get is what I have, which is to set up a SmartLighting rule to turn the lights off after X minutes, but as far as I know, it has no way to differentiate you manually turning it on vs. the routine auto-switching it on. It works for me because I almost never need those lights on persistently, but I agree, it would be nice.

This part Iā€™m also stuck on - I only get the following options under routine - "automatically perform ā€œroutine nameā€ - Someone Arrives/Everyone Leaves/At a specific Time/At sunrise or sunset/Things start happening/Things quiet down/Something opens or closes

None of those let me pick a press of my momentary tile button device as a trigger.

Any ideas?

In CoRE, using IFTTTā€™s Maker channel:

IF
   IFTTT event 'ring' was executed
   AND
   Porch Light switch is off <<< this ensures the light is only turned on, wait, off IF it was already off at ring time
   AND
   (as required, aditional conditions like time of day etc.)
THEN
   Using Porch Light...
      > Turn on
      > Wait 2 minutes
      > Turn off

See more info on how to use the Maker channel and listen for the event in CoRE here.

3 Likes

Thanks @ady624. This is my first (well, second) day with ST so time to figure out what CoRE is and how it works!

Youā€™re right. I told you totally wrong for steps 4-6. It should say to create a Smart Lighting rule instead of a routine.That will allow you turn on lights triggered by the virtual switch AND let you restrict it by mode. Iā€™ve edited it now - sorry about that. Originally I tried setting it up as a routine and ran into your same issues before realizing Smart Lighting gets it done.

1 Like