Ring Video Doorbell

Ring has released the Ring Video Doorbell Pro:

Highlights are:

1. Video is now 1080p
  2. Can now use 5GHz WiFi
  3. Motion detection settings are significantly better

Note that this one is HARDWIRE ONLY.

3 Likes

And not to mention, they will now support live video if your current doorbell is hardwired and in 1-2 months, for battery powered doorbells. Sweet!

2 Likes

YES! Live video! Finally!

Ring really does seem to be the best of the bunch at the moment. Plus, and those of you who know me know this is coming, it has a Windows 10 app. Iā€™m diving into some reviews.

And they just raised $60+ Million in a third round. The news blurb I saw on that mentioned that theyā€™re selling 50k units/month. So, yeah, they look pretty solid. Now if they only had a proper ST integration.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve requested this on numerous occasions, to be honest the Wink integration isnā€™t all that extensive but Iā€™d still take it. Thereā€™s quite clearly something more at play as to why they havenā€™t integrated yet.

I just bought a ring doorbell 3 weeks ago and I also purchased a 1 year subscription to the cloud recording service but I donā€™t see any option for live video. When is this going to be released? FYI - My ring doorbell is hard wired into my doorbell.

What firmware version does it currently have? You may need to contact Ring support to get them to enable it for you.

My friend just had it enabled this week. I would contact their support like the other poster mentioned.

I contacted support via a support ticket using the app and the response I got is below:

Iā€™m excited about this push!!

2 Likes

How did you get that response? Iā€™ve contacted them three times and basically been told to ā€œbe patientā€. Then they have the nerve to send me a survey about whether Iā€™m satisfied with my request.

Wellā€¦I just complained again and got a similar message about getting me into the next push. I guess timing is everything.

Yeah, I had to complain a couple of times. But after I opened a ticket in the ring app that got their attention and after 24 hours I had live video option.

Thereā€™s currently a significant amount of their efforts currently devoted to ironing out the bugs on the Ring Pro before it goes to public so thatā€™s possibly why youā€™re seeing delays now.

Iā€™m sure once they have gotten on top of those they will be able to return to normal support issues quicker and rumour has it, there might be some official integrationā€¦

Hereā€™s hoping it doesnā€™t suck as hard as Ringā€™s official integration with ADT Pulse. Nothing says ā€œuselessā€ like a portal from one app that doesnā€™t actually show you anything but a link to open the other app.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m concerned with too although from the sounds of it, the Wink ā€˜integrationā€™ is a little more thorough in that it can directly act on motion/button press with Robots which is all I really need Ring/ST to do - eliminate the IFTTT third party.

Viewing Ring video through ST would be nice but itā€™s not a necessity.

Agreed. It would greatly simplify my RM automation that turns on the porch light at night when there is motion if I could remove the IFTTT part of the equation.

2 Likes

How ever the idea of ST opening up a live window from Ring and also showing a list of your locks below it would be brilliant.

1 Like

Wonā€™t happen. Ring have integrated with ADT Pulse already and what it does is add each Ring doorbell as a separate camera in the Pulse app. But you canā€™t actually see the camera feed. It is just a link to open the frigginā€™ Ring app from within the Pulse app. Pointless.

I see, though how about the other way around then?
Use the RING app to show a button for ST when you respond to a Ring notification like it does for Kevo or Wink already.

1 Like