Ring subscription price increase on March 11, 2024 and Alternative Doorbells

1 Like

Or 43% here in the UK, thanks Ring!

1 Like

At least it is partially useful without a subscription. Yet another reason I’m happy not to have bought into that ecosystem. Eventually, I’ll find a replacement doorbell button with a camera that can be used with local recording and no subscription…

Oh, one more thing: if you have this or another of the family of Ring devices, you might want to read about “Amazon Sidewalk”–including online discussions about security–and decide whether you might want to disable that “feature.”

1 Like

I made a table to compare Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen with UK available Non subscription Battery Doorbells with Apple Homekit, Google, Smartthings and Alexa support. Even though they are battery powered some can be wired as well.
Eufy have some other cheaper models.

Aqara G4 TP-Link Tapo D230S1 Ezviz DB2 Eufy E340 Ring Video 2
Price £ 89.99 94.99 66.98 139.99 69.99 + 49.99 sub
Motion detection Local Facial Recognition Smart AI Human Detection AI Detection yes parcel
Ring Alerts Indoor Chime Repeater Included Hub/Chime Included Hub/Chime Included Pair with Chime/Alexa/Google Chime/Alexa
Resolution 1080p 2K 2K 2K Full HD and HDR 1080p
FoV 162 160 176 Dual Cameras, Package Guard 155
Local Storage 7 Days free cloud and Up to 512Gb MicroSD Up to 512Gb MicroSD Up to 256Gb MicroSD 8GB no
Masking Areas yes yes yes yes yes
Matter with update no no no no
2.4 ghz Wifi yes yes yes yes yes
5 ghz Wifi ? no no no no
Colour Night Vision no yes no yes no
Battery AAx6 up to 4 months up to 6 months up to 4 months up to 3 months up to 3 months
Alexa yes yes yes yes yes
Google yes yes yes yes no
Apple yes no no no no
Smartthings with update to matter no no no yes

I ordered the Aqara G4 Doorbell to replace my Ring Doorbell.

1 Like

Helpful comparison, but we should note that none of the models you listed have a smartthings integration, right? The best you can do is try to use Alexa routines as an intermediary for partial integration. :thinking:

BTW, we use the aqara G4 at our house and like it, but we are using it with HomeKit. We haven’t found any satisfactory way of bringing it into SmartThings.

Also, I wouldn’t put “soon“ for matter: the matter standard itself does not yet support any kind of camera. And once they are in the spec, it will probably take device manufacturers anywhere from a few months to a year or so to actually get it working in their products. So it’s a ways off yet.

1 Like

Only once Aqara update the firmware with Matter will it integrate with Smartthings, their website says ‘soon’, however I changed the table to ,‘with update’, whenever that is. Not sure if any of the other doorbells will get matter. Looking forward to ‘recycling’, the Ring doorbell.

2 Likes

It’s also important to note that the aqara camera models are also hubs for them. And some of those hubs will become “matter bridges,” which means they will be able to bring over some of their child devices like sensors to other Home Automation platforms. So for the purposes of this thread, it’s important to understand that it’s entirely possible that Aqara camera model Will be updated to act as a “matter bridge,” providing SmartThings integration that way for its child devices like sensors, but still without bringing over the video feed or the other camera options. We’ll just have to wait and see what actually gets delivered. :thinking:

1 Like

I think that this is where Amazon is headed with all of its subscription-based products. They operated at a loss for so long that now they’re trying to make a profit. I have had the Protect plan since it started for $100.00 a month. I have extensively used the 10% discount and replaced all my earlier devices for free with the extended lifetime warranty. You have to think about the cost they have to store 60 days or 180 days of video for all the users that have Ring devices. I still don’t see the need to store any more than 30 days max, but that’s just me.

The monthly price for individual users is increasing by $1 a month. I think this is really to drive more people to buy more products and get the higher-priced plans that cover all of your devices and is a much better deal. Plus, if you have the security system as well, it covers all of your monitoring costs! I was paying ADT $60.00 a month just for the monitoring, so for me, it was a no-brainer to switch! Not to mention the extended warranty that covers all of your devices for as long as you keep the plan active! I have replaced contact sensors, cameras, and smoke detectors all for free for $100.00 a month. I know in 2025 the price will be increasing for me to $200.00 a year, but I still think it’s an awesome deal. ADT was costing me $720.00 a year just for the monitoring, and now I have video storage for 180 days, basically a lifetime warranty on all of the devices as I will never let the Protect plan lapse! ADT quoted me 8K to just install cameras around my property. Between the yearly cost savings for monitoring and all the replacement devices, I have paid for the initial cost of all the devices.

2 Likes

and now…

It’s ridiculous that one Ring camera is $50 a year now when you can get the Ring unlimited plan currently for $100, but no telling how long that will last. I would consider getting more Ring cameras, but I don’t need them since I’m still getting 7 free days on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras. Not to mention that the only way to manage the a Ring cameras that I know of is using their two settings for Armed Home/Away modes available in the Ring’s Location via Alexa Routines. But still, using a SmartThings Alexa virtual device that could be controlled through SmartThings, but I’d like to have three security modes, Home Day, Home Night, and Away.

Anyway, when this year’s Ring subscription ends, it looks like I’ll probably go with the Eufy as my Ring doorbell replacement. That is unless I loose the grandfathered 7 free days on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras, then I’m not sure which way I’ll go.

And now with other Amazon services also changing, like adding ads to Prime Video and losing Dobly Vision and Dobly Atmos unless I pay more for their add-free Prime Video service, I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be paying for Amazon Prime either. Not to mention (I hate to say it), but how much do you want to bet that we will eventually have to start paying for Alexa access too!

1 Like

I know it doesn’t work with SmartThings but I really like the Wyze doorbell. I don’t pay anything for a subscription and I’ve got it set to record continuously to a 128GB SD card. I know it doesn’t work with SmartThings but I didn’t really use that feature with Ring since I have a Next Hub and I can view the camera there.

3 Likes

Replaced my Ring Doorbell Pro this weekend with an Aqara G4, hardwired. Was able to set my kitchen iPad and Echo Show to switch to the camera feed when the doorbell is pressed though Homekit, HomeCam, and Shortcuts and Alexa for the Echo. So far is seems like a way more responsive setup than the Ring. Thanks for the information in this thread.

Now if I could justify replacing my exterior Blink camera system with something Homekit connected. Eyeing the Eufycam 2c Pro 4 camera kit with solar panels to avoid running line voltage to the camera locations.

3 Likes