Ring range extender help

I just switched from google home to smart things and am finally trying to add devices.
So far so good, except for the ring range extender. I boght the extender for a contact sensor on the other side of my rather small home, about 1700 sqft.
After adding the sensor it doesnt appear to help my range at all…
I tried to delete the device, but i cant figure out how to remove it.

So 3 questions.

1. Should i have a “settings” option, to possible change drivers? Because the only two options are “edit” and “information”.
  2. How do i remove the device? I tried to force delete it, but it says it cant delete because the device is working normally. If it dont see range improved, there is no point in keeping it.
  3. Everytime i click on the device in the app it says " This device hasnt updated all of its status information. Check back later.

use the community developed tool API Browser+ find that device and tap on Details, take a screenshot of that Details section and post it please. also for the contact sensor. If the range extender is z-wave, it would be interesting to see if the contact sensor is z-wave or zigbee so brand and model would help greatly and details screen should provide the info for community members to provide assistance.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I am doing my best to learn here.

The contact sensor is ring as well. So Z wave.
I tested the sensor at my back door. It works right inside the door but doesnt directly outside (The range extender was plugged in right by the back door. I even moved it to several other locations in my house) But for some reason the sensor will work in my garage, which is a little further away from my aeotec hub, and has to go through an additional wall.

The reason you are not seeing Driver when you tap on the 3 dots: both devices are using legacy Device Handlers (groovy) and not Edge Drivers.

Try a z-wave exclusion on the Ring Extender if you wish to remove it. To do that, find your hub in the ST app, tap the 3 dots after you open it, choose Setting then z-wave utilities.

@jdroberts will most likely provide you with lots of details on extending out to the sensor. :slight_smile:

And just to add alittle more context to my overall goal.
I would like to add a contact sensor on my shed door which is about20 from my back door. Thats why i was testing the range on the sensor.

When i try to delete it is says to follow manufacturers instructions.
But i couldnt find that information.
I tried holding the button down and pressing it 3 times quickly.

Ideally i would like to keep it and use it as intended.

You could also use the API Browser+ or the z-wave exclusion to remove the device. Since you want to keep it, wait for JD to provide you with info on z-wave and extending your network. He will provide you with lots of valuable info.

1 Like

Ok i will wait to see what he says about it.
Thank you

If all you want to do is delete it from your hub, simply use the Delete button in the API Browser+.

single purpose zwave range extenders

Zwave range extenders were helpful for the first few generations of zwave because many individual devices aimed for minimal power use, and so had pretty weak transmissions. But by the fifth generation (“z wave plus”) Power management had improved significantly and pretty much all z wave devices transmit at maximum allowed strength, so the single purpose zwave “range extenders“ don’t do any more than any other Z wave repeater, so you usually get better value out of just a plug-in smart plug or a light switch. :sunglasses: :electric_plug:

There is one exception, and that’s the ring z wave extender, but it’s not because you get more distance from it. It’s because it can switch to battery power when the Mains power is out. This is really important for zwave based security systems because it means that the battery powered sensors will still have an active repeater to help them get back to the hub, assuming the hub has a secondary power source (which most smartthings/Aeotec hubs, do not).

So the Ring range extender is a great device for a security system using a different Z wave hub, but it doesn’t really serve much purpose in a smartthings setup unless you have your hub on a backup UPS for operation during power outages. Otherwise, a dual purpose repeater will do just as much as far as covering additional distance, and likely be a better dollar value.

As far as what edge, driver to use, as long as it joins your network, even if just as a “Zwave thing“ it will perform its repeating function.

Reaching a distant sensor

So that’s part one of the discussion. Now onto your specific use case.

It’s not surprising that you can reach the sensor in the garage and not reach the one on the outdoor shed, even though the one in the garage is physically somewhat closer. Reaching a device isn’t just about distance. Assuming the garage is an attached garage, signal will be able to go through an interior wall, and that’s typically much easier than going through an exterior wall or door, which are generally thicker and with insulation.

And then there are weather conditions, in particular humidity. For some complicated technical reasons, zwave just isn’t great at getting through high humidity due to some dispersion issues in the algorithm. There’s nothing you can do about that problem itself. But it’s the reason that so far there are very few outdoor zwave Sensors. (This will change with zwave 800, but we aren’t there yet.)

But there are definitely zwave models that have better range than others.

So next we need to know the specific brand and model of the sensor You are trying to reach. The easiest way to improve range in Z wave is to get newer technology. Zwave plus has better range than Z wave classic. Zwave 700 has better range than Z wave plus.

It might be that all you need is to switch to one of the new Zooz Z wave 700 sensors. :sunglasses:

Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series XS Open | Close Sensor ZSE41 - The Smartest House

location, location, location

You can use just about any Z wave mains power device as the repeater. The key may be finding the best position for it. :thinking:

I often find that a light switch one floor up from ground level near a clear glass window is the easiest way to get Z wave signal to an outbuilding as you can get up above the tree line. (Trees contain a lot of water, water blocks signal.)

(I used to often use Z wave lightbulbs as repeaters for some of these situations, but they are getting really hard to find these days.)

a WiFi alternative

Or you could skip zwave altogether for this particular location and use a Shelly Wi-Fi sensor. That will have 2 to 3 times the range of even the Z wave 700 devices. (although most Wi-Fi devices have terrible battery life, Shelly is the exception. They have worked very hard on power management and their battery powered sensors do seem to achieve 12 to 18 months, battery life, which is impressive. Be prepared for bigger devices with bigger batteries to do this, though.)

https://www.shelly.cloud/en-us/products/shop/shelly-door-window-2

There is a manufacturer-provided integration with Shelly through the smartthings app, or a community-created edge Driver.

summary

So… I think the ring zwave range extender is an excellent device for some very specific use cases, but it doesn’t sound like those are the use cases you are trying to solve. :thinking: otherwise, I don’t generally recommend the single purpose “range extenders” for zwave. They don’t do any more for the strength of your network than any other Z wave repeater, so you might as well get one that serves another purpose as well, like a smart plug or light switch.

In your particular case, I would first look at the exact brand/model of the Sensor you are using. Maybe you can get a newer Z wave generation, and improve distance coverage that way.

Also, I would look at placement of the repeater.

Or maybe a Shelly would make more sense. That would give you a lot more range to play with, and no repeaters needed. :sunglasses:

@jkp

So from what i gathered i should go ahead and send back my range extender lol.
I only bought it over a z wave outlet because i didnt really have a need for one.
I think i will send it back and look at the shelly sensor.
Thank you once again for helping.

1 Like

i use several of the ring range extenders with the ring alarm system and i seriously doubt they were doing anything to help so i started removing them one-by-one and everything still works. LOL

as said above you are better off with a zwave plug.

1 Like